Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

PSA Flight 182 crash - 1978

Does anyone know about this accident? I remember hearing about this when I was a kid and being truly disturbed by the flight recorder sound grab I'd heard. Only recently when looking it up again, I've been seeing references to someone called 'Screaming superman'. I've never heard of this in reference to this accident before. Does any one know who or what this was??

Does anyone know about this accident? I remember hearing about this when I was a kid and being truly disturbed by the flight recorder sound grab I'd heard. Only recently when looking it up again, I've been seeing references to someone called 'Screaming superman'. I've never heard of this in reference to this accident before. Does any one know who or what this was??

The "Screaming Superman" was one of the survivors of the crash. IIRC, He was ejected from the aircraft when it broke up on impact, and witnesses reported seeing him "flying and tumbling through the air, while on fire".

There were no survivors on PSA 182...

There were no survivors on PSA 182...

Correct. I was close enough to hear it - far enough away to say "what was that?"

Both aircraft went down about a mile from my sister's house. (some very uncomfortable hours until we heard from her)

There were no survivors from either aircraft, the plane went in almost vertically. Anything out there that talks about some "screaming superman" is a complete and despicable hoax. There was nothing left but charred pieces.

There was one photo that someone caught if I remember correctly that may have lead to the hoax - what looked like the body of one of the pilots from the Cessna falling through the air to impact (more likely a piece of the aircraft).

Edited by Typhoid

Wasn't this a 727 and a small civil prop that had mid air?

Yes, the 727 hit the Cessna 172, while it was supposed to overtake the Cessna.

The PSA-crew had reported seeing the Cessna, but lost track of it and didn't pay attention to the small plane until they hit each other...

The Cessna-occupants were pretty surely killed rigt away, while the 727-occupants went through the full horror of their plane going out of conrol and going down.

A coupe of years later (in 1986 I belive), a similar accident happened between a mexican DC-9 and a Piper 28 - the Piper was not supposed to be in that airspace (they were lost!) and went right into the DC-9's horizontal stab, taking it off. Both planes crashed.

Again, the Pa-28 people (a man with his wife an daughter) were 'lucky' to be killed on spot (the DC-9's stab went right through their cabin!), while the DC-9 pax+crew had some rather unpleasant final moments.

The later crash finally lead to the devellopment of TCAS.

On both crashes, the final moments of the airliner were captured on photo:

PSA 182 (pulitzer-prize winning photo!)

hans2.jpg

Aeromexico 498

Aeroméxico498.jpg

Both crashes lead to some death-toll on the ground as well!

RIP to all the victims

Edited by Toryu