Centurion-1

What ALL-NEW terrain would you like to see?

What ALL-NEW terrain would you like to see?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of the following would you like to see in SF2 as an all new terrain, either by TK or modder effort?

• Angola, SW Africa (SAAF-Angola/Cuba)
    • Peru/Ecuador, South America (Alto-Cenepa war)
    • Scandinavia, parts of, Northern Europe (Cold war gone hot)
    • Yugoslavia (Civil war/NATO-op)
    • Other (please specify)

These are some locations that come to mind, and I have recently started dabbling in terrain modding so I thought I'd ask for popular input before rushing in to some large project. The locations above are based on the fact that interesting air ops have happened there and/or could happen there. Anyway, the reading on the Angolan conflict or Alto-Cenepa war over at Acig.org makes for fascinating reading.

• Like 1

Scandinavia one, lots of possibilities and great airforces involved...

me, I'd love to do some Poland vs Belarus and Russia 90's or modern one :bomb:

(ok that would involve all the NATO... more jets)

• Like 1

I agree with Stary if the cold war did go hot it would have been one of the hottest areas.

Scandinavia one, lots of possibilities and great airforces involved...

me, I'd love to do some Poland vs Belarus and Russia 90's or modern one :bomb:

(ok that would involve all the NATO... more jets)

Hmm would a limited Poland-Belarus air war (no ground offensive, this way conflict "could" stay confined only to these nations) be feasible? Like Nato/U.S. and Russian check each other no the enter the conflict, so the belligerents can bash it out between themselves.

Scenarios:

For example, Lukashenko goes mad, and starts placing Polish minority in concentrations camps (he sees them as a 5th column, traitors, enemies of the state etc.). Poland reacts with an air offensive...

OR imperialist rotten Poland has long lusted to anect western parts of Belarus. Madman president Kaczynski finally makes his intentions clear and launches unprovoked air strikes against Belorussian air defenses, as a preparation for a ground invasion soon to follow. Brave Belorussians scramble to fight for their motherland.

These scenarios could take place in mid/late 90's (Poland still uses MiG-23MF and some -21s coupled with -29s) or 2000s (F-16 ^_^).

Another scenario!!

Korea: General MacArthur gets his will and nuke several Chinese cities reducing them to rubble. The Soviets responds with an all out assault on western Europe including neutral Sweden as they are part of the UN forces in Korea. Maybe not an unrealistic scenario :cool:

I'd love to see austro-italian terrain from the ww1 era... I know I know but i can dream ;)barring that maybe something more southern so italy and greece get some cold war action against southern russia/warpac

Another one (for Scandinavia)!

During the collapse of USSR , Finnish minority of Russian Karelia stages an uprising to breakaway & join Finland. Russia drowns the uprising in blood, Finland responds with 2nd Winter War! Norway joins the conflict on Finnish side (somewhat later in the campaign, after soviet fighters violate it's airspace more than once and shoot down Norwegian airliner), Sweden remains neutral, but supplies Finland with equipment & "volunteers".

Edited by SFP1Ace

Hmm would a limited Poland-Belarus air war (no ground offensive, this way conflict "could" stay confined only to these nations) be feasible? Like Nato/U.S. and Russian check each other no the enter the conflict, so the belligerents can bash it out between themselves.

Scenarios:

For example, Lukashenko goes mad, and starts placing Polish minority in concentrations camps (he sees them as a 5th column, traitors, enemies of the state etc.). Poland reacts with an air offensive...

OR imperialist rotten Poland has long lusted to anect western parts of Belarus. Madman president Kaczynski finally makes his intentions clear and launches unprovoked air strikes against Belorussian air defenses, as a preparation for a ground invasion soon to follow. Brave Belorussians scramble to fight for their motherland.

These scenarios could take place in mid/late 90's (Poland still uses MiG-23MF and some -21s coupled with -29s) or 2000s (F-16 ^_^).

Madman Kaczyński? Jeez we dealt with one already.. oh the more evil twin of him? God help us!:grin:

Sort of Lukashenko goes mad, rejects UN advisors, followed by armed men attacking polish and german ambasadies -turns out to be military specops disguised as minoryty (polish lithuanian) insurgents... and NATO (with Poland being closest neighbour and member of) reacts to the armoured columns heading towards western borders... pinpoint strikes, CAS, deep intrusions onto militia nad army camps... could do some scenarios

Madman Kaczyński? Jeez we dealt with one already.. oh the more evil twin of him? God help us!:grin:

:lol: I meant for this scenario to take place in 2007-2008, as an alternate history line. No more evil twins! :grin:

Another one!

During the collapse of USRR the people of Kaliningrad Oblast decide to breakway from mother Russia (for some economic reasons, perhaps they've struck black gold, and don't want to give it away...), following examples set by Baltic States. Russia, unwilling to let go of it's "foothold" in Europe responds quickly! Poland and Baltic States join the conflict on Kalingrad's side...

Edited by SFP1Ace

Canada has always been of interest to me as an area to fly over. I'd love to have my planes based out of Yellowknife.

China would be my second choice.

The most interessting parts of the world are all done already.

Perhaps some areas in Asia, Bangladesh for instance or Indonesia, the Kuril islands, could be find some interessts, depends from scenario.

To come in the fictive world, a what if scenario: Prussia

What would have been if in 1990 Gorbatchev would have had pulled out all soviet troops and people from Kaliningradski rayon and the "old communist" guard which were wipped out from the GDR (east germany) had taken over this area. Prussia would have been reborn, Kaliningrad would have been Königsberg again. A military dictatorship with the clear aim to regain all territories which had belonged to East and West Prussia. Of course Poland would not very happy to see such a new and aggressive german state at their northern border and ..... :grin:

Central America would be good for Nicaragua/El Salvador/Honduras scenarios from the '80s and Belize/Guatemala confrontations with the UK supporting Belize (didn't we send Harriers there at one time?).

For Scandinavia I'm already using Baltika's excellent North Cape terrain for a Wings over Scandinavia install based on WOE (haven't the heart to import it into SF2 and set up a dedicated install with all the patches every 5 minutes adding lots of non-needed planes!).

A Yugoslavia/Balkans terrain would be very welcome after what appears to be several false starts over the years.

Edited by allenjb42

Since its still planing.. the area on the pic allows for the yugoslavian wars/nato, Stary's Belarus idea, a 56 scenario in the hungarian revolution, 68 czech intervention, an all out push from bulgaria/romania/hungary in a fictional cold war scenario against the balcan/italy and central europe countires, or a very fictional croatian-hungarian allyship wars to regain their theritories owned before the trianon peace treaty...

post-30564-0-74640300-1313859796.jpg

I vote former Yugoslavia. I wanna bomb some Serbian war criminals.

As long as we are planning, how about this as a draft:

gallery_19311_577_85654.jpg

Roughly 1500km square, allowing Finnish, Swedish and Norwegian AF to fight the red menance. In a number of scenarios it is possible that neutral Sweden might intervene to Finland's favor if the Red's pulled an assault. A Stockholm military coup might not even be out of the question if the Social-democrats proved too indecisive, or if the USSR started to get too rowdy in the Baltic Sea. Remember, Sweden had a pretty powerful army during the Cold War and a excellent AF. I'm finnish and lived in Sweden so I know the area, and the thought of flying here in SF2 tickles my senses :P

That pretty well matches the North Cape scenario in F-19 and F-15 II which were awesome.

I cast my vote for Angola/SWA/South Africa as I would really like to have a campaign of the boarder war and for the fictional side something along the lines of the book Vortex, by Larry Bond. I'd love to try taking a Cuban MiG-29 down with an Mirage F-1CZ armed with Kukri AAM's... and how about some low level strikes with Mirage F-1AZ's and Buccaneer S Mk 50's. I wonder how much of southern Africa could be fit in the map area?

Hi Centurion,

Go ahead with a new Scandinavia by all means, but the ground has been covered here already:-

http://combatace.com/files/file/11891-north-cape-terrain/

Here's the planning map:-

post-16914-0-85021200-1314013156.jpg

Yes, it is a beta so far, but it will run just fine in SF2 with a couple of .ini tweaks. All of the main civilian and military airbases in the region shown have been plotted, flattened and tiled, and a fair bit of work has been done on terrain targetisation. There is also a custom tileset based on various existing pre-released sets, tweaked and put together for this region.

I have moved over completely to SF2 series for modding now, so sooner or later an updated, dedicated SF2 version of this terrain will appear.

But, as I say, don't let me stop you if you fancy a crack at a new terrain based on the region. The more the merrier. If you have any questions re TE, fire away and I'll try to help out.

@gepard, Kuril Islands terrain is also in the pipeline for SF2 release. . . :grin:

Slainthe!

Baltika

A large, accurate highly detailed map of the East coast USA.... The same goes for the West coast.

I would like to see Africa for some good ole merc bush war flying....

A large, accurate highly detailed map of the East coast USA.... The same goes for the West coast.

Other than some tiling (and scaling) issues, there's something wrong with the Southern California map???. Been trying (on and off) to fix some of the tiling issue, but the frakking thing keeps crashing the TE, so it is as it stands

Is there something wrong with DBS aka Bering Straits, or the ASW (Texas/Mexico) terrains, that I don't know about?

as to East Coast (see below) Kfrge sent me the base files a while back ... but it's gonnna be a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time before it sees the light of day. Needs major retiling, and complete targetization.

the major problem with doing ANY terrain in North America, is there are no enemies. Unless one does a 'Wingman' or 'Red Dawn' type scenario.

wrench

kevin stein

I think Italy and Ex-Yugoslavia terrain,the only place that seen a war after ww-2,except Africa of course.

But for the Forces involved U.S.,Italian,British,French and so.... that took part at various operations based here in Italy will be extremely good.

Other Terrains are very good for What-If or intercept (like in the cold-war)

Italy-Balkans will offer a very great environment for cold war too!

the major problem with doing ANY terrain in North America, is there are no enemies. Unless one does a 'Wingman' or 'Red Dawn' type scenario.

wrench

kevin stein

There's Canada

Canukistan??? :rofl:

(with apologies to our norther neighbors)