Sign in to follow this  
Guest BeachAV8R

SF2 - Training Mission #11

Guest BeachAV8R

Thanks to all that helped me get my SA-2 missile behavior sorted out! :drinks:

Training Mission #11 - SEAD is available to read HERE!

Some sample images:

11TRAIN05.jpg

11TRAIN17.jpg

11TRAIN25.jpg

11TRAIN40.jpg

:wacko:

BeachAV8R

You mentioned that the ARM hit the launcher instead of the radar. Someone else commenting about ARM behavior at the Third Wire forums mentioned that the ARM seems to work properly when you are visually locked on a target. So my thinking is that when you launched the missile, you were visually targeted on the launcher. If so, that is an interesting fact that the ARM doesn't really target the radar, but your visual padlock.

I did some testing. I did observe what the Third Wire thread noted: Standard ARMs being lofted don't do so well. But I witnessed a Shrike veer from the track I selected and hit an entirely different radar. I was not visually locked on the other radar, I was padlocked on an SA-2 launcher immediately in front of me. So, I am guessing your hit on a launcher vice radar was more of a near miss than anything to do with visual padlocks. I have yet to get a Standard ARM to hit because my targets are at short range, while the Standard ARM loft profile doesn't start trying to acquire until after following a ballistic arc for some distance. If my F-105D would stop getting shot down, I could probably take the time to set up a Standard ARM hit, but I can't follow missiles in F9 view AND dodge SAMs at the same time.

Guest BeachAV8R

Yeah..I didn't do enough testing to give any evidence about the Shrike behavior. I thought I'd be able to loft it up in front of me and it would find whatever was emitting on its own. Maybe the SA-2 launcher hit was just a near miss as you indicated..

Finally! Have been looking forward to #11. Great reading as always!

fun, fun fun!! well done!

ain't ya glad I put that RWR in there!!! :lol:

ain't ya glad I put that RWR in there!!! :lol:

With this aircraft and/or the mission, did this happen to any of you:

After getting rid of the Fansong with a shrike, I turned across the lake, heading East to the SA-8. Although I was getting audio RWR tracking sound, the RWR display did not tell me I was being tracked. Only a search radar was shown there. As if the RWR gauge stopped working..

Later I was locked on and fired by the SA-8, still RWR display was calm, only the audio rwr gave me, missile launch alerts..

Edited by PureBlue