Sign in to follow this  
Veltro2k

WHAT the %#$#@!

sitting here in my studio....Boom !!!! things started shaking glass fell to the floor picture frame also..Yep we just experienced an earthquake in Jersey

Same here in Eastern Monmouth County, lasted over 20 seconds. I understand that forest fires and mudslides are next.... :rofl:

Edited by Fubar512

Im Still alive, cant say the same for the poor squirrel that fell out of the tree.

Epicenter 40 Miles NW of Richmond (exact L&L on USG site), 5.8-6.0

Reports are saying that it was felt all the way up in Toronto. Doubt it if I couldn't feel it in MA and there's a tiny fault line somewhere in Worcester County.

JFK was shut down and the Washington Monument is leaning now? :blink:

felt in boston supposedly, but i was sound asleep so i did not feel the apt shake.

Any nut jobs with "Ban the nuclear power" signs in the streets yet?

Oh, "But at the New York Stock Exchange, trading continued."

Edited by Gr.Viper

Any nut jobs with "Ban the nuclear power" signs in the streets yet?

Oh, "But at the New York Stock Exchange, trading continued."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/two_nuclear_reactors_near_eart.html

LOWER ALLOWAYS CREEK — Seismic activity resulting from this afternoon's 5.9 magnitude earthquake triggered an "unusual event" at Hope Creek and Salem Nuclear plants, a normal response to such an event, said Lt. Stephen Jones of the New Jersey State Police.

There have been no reports of any damage at either facility.

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Lacey Township, which is run by Exelon, is currently operating at full power, said spokeswoman Suzanne D’Ambrosio. Plant operators are following “seismic procedures,” which include walking throughout the facility to confirm the earthquake did not damage equipment or affect operations.

“We will continue to closely monitor plant equipment should there be any additional seismic activity,” D’Ambrosio said.

Exelon declared "unusual events" at its Oyster Creek, Limerick, Peach Bottom and Three Mile Island Unit 1 plants, a classification that is the lowest of the four emergency classifications used in the U.S. nuclear power industry, she added.

Federal officials say two nuclear reactors at the North Anna Power Station in Louisa County, Va., were automatically taken offline by safety systems around the time of the earthquake.

The Dominion-operated power plant is being run off of four emergency diesel generators, which are supplying power for critical safety equipment.

Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Roger Hannah says the agency was not immediately aware of any damage at nuclear power plants in the southeast.

NRC officials are still assessing the situation.

Louisa County is about 40 miles northwest of Richmond.

Edited by Fubar512

Holycrap! blink.gif 5.8 is powerful

i can't imagine how an earthquake is, because here we don't have greats earthquakes.

everybody safe? no one hurt?

Yikes! :yikes:

Glad I live in San Diego. Oh, wait...:blink:

Hope noone was hurt.

Indeed! Growing up in SD had no shortage of those! I remember one time when my beloved and fetching spouse was headed screaming out the door during one of those rocking and rolling - I never took my feet off the desk. Par for the course out there!

We had a swarm in Colorado overnight as well - the biggest hit 5.3. Didn't wake me up but the guys still in Cheyenne Mountain were reportedly a bit "apprehensive".

No reports of injuries so I'm guessing that everyone is OK and glad of that!

We got a 6.2 recently, epicenter 50 Kms (30 miles) away. Woke me up from a nap, i was nuts until i found out that there were casualties, actually

They (Earth Quake} do make you say WHOA even in California.

Hope everybody and everything is alright.

happens...

hope everything is okay

Is the hurricane going to hit the same areas?

Is the hurricane going to hit the same areas?

Looks like it might

Saw it on the news. Man what a crazy scene. BTW for those of you in the NYC metro area, you have three faultlines in the area the last time i checked. Hope one doesn't slip anytime soon.

Where i'm at, we have a faultline within a mile of us and the State has been checking it out for the last few years.

It's a funny thing...most folks in the US associate earthquakes with the Pacific coast, specifically California. A lot of people don't know the US is riddled with faults. One of the bigger ones is the New Madrid Fault:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone

If that thing goes, what will happen to Memphis, TN will make what Katrina did to New Orleans look like nothing.

And if you want to really see a geologic doomsday bomb, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

It's estimated that an eruption here would have 2500 times the power of Mount St. Helens and thick, choking ash would cover about 1/2 of the US.

FC

From what ive read, Boston lies on a fault dormant of course. But because the buildings are old and laxer codes, an earthquake could be devastating here as the city is on low ground. last disruptive one happened in 1700's.

"Holycrap! 5.8 is powerful"

that's how we stir our coffee in California

:grin: