Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

OT Battle of Britain

It's OT because its WW2, and not OFF but G2/Shockwave's Battle of Britain - Wings of Victory...

I've had it a couple of years now, but never really liked it. I can never work out where the planes are, and it's very limited to BoB (ok that's obvious) and seemed a bit arcade like.

Until......

I just discovered it takes TrackIR!!!!!

Wooohoo!.

Not only takes Trackir, but it's very smooth too. Whole new sim now!

It's not OFF, or even CFS3, and for 2005, it's not that great, but on the upside it's presentable, and not the worst way to spend some free time.

I wonder if t's been modded....

Great sim, often overlooked.

I recently upgraded my computer from something which was old even in 2005, and finally got around to trying BoB2WoV.

Having a blast :good:

I take it you have updated to the latest official version (2.11) and installed the multiskin pack?

http://shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21865&sid=56b7777d4865e361ddbc0df358959d0d

After that, Heinkill's mission mega pack is an absolute must:-

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2996619/Mission_Megapack_for_Battle_of.html#Post2996619

Slainthe!

Baltika

No, I'm still flying it out the box so far.

I've got the 2.11 patch downloading, but on mobile broadband. Should be done by Sunday or so....

It is pretty good. I like the numbers of aircraft, but only with TrackIR. Did have couple of CTD's, but hopefully the patch will fix those.

Thanks for the links Baltika.

I like the single-pilot campaign - you choose a squadron, a pilot position (Green 3 or whatever), and then the BoB historical campaign runs on auto, prompting you to take off when your squadron is scrambled in the campaign...you just watch the BoB unfold on the big map, hour by hour or day by day (you set the time speed) and wait...and wait...then, Scramble! Take off, fly the mission, land...and then back to waiting again. Real nail-biting stuff. The campaign is dynamic, so if you 'die' you can run it again and get completely different campaign missions :)

Bletchley

I've heard that it has one of the finest AI in terms of combat flight simulators, after the last unnoficial patches.

I have been tinkering with this one for years. Mainly the quick missions.

The people patching this have been doing so for over 10 years since the original Rowan version.

Very dedicated and a very good forum as well.

Well worth the effort to get into, and it will be updated in the future.

Regards MarkL

Have to admit this is growing on me. I'm still a bit green in the cockpit and finding my limits, but it is very easy to get into.

I do like the AI. They do attack in formation from time to time, and react pretty violently when you shoot at them. Getting a kill certainly isn't too easy, and I love the numbers, with 50+ dogfights nothing remarkable.

I will take a look at the campaign in due course.

I reckon TrackIR is a definite must, even more so than OFF. I find the periforal roundals and iron crosses are more of a distraction than a help, but easy to ignore with Trackir.

Thanks guys.