Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Anybody using a Sidewinder Pro joystick with Vista?

I have fond memories about my old Sidewinder Pro joystick. 'No idea of what happened to it. So I checked out e-bay and found a plethora of them. Immediately ordered one. It arrived yesterday, but when I try to run the install disc, it tells me that my computer won't recognize it. Is anyone else using a Sidewinder with Vista?

Try this Hauksbee. Don't install the drivers, just plug the controller in and let Vista load it's own default drivers. From what I've read, others have had success using this approach.

Edited by Shiloh

Usb connection i'm assuming Hauk? Just plug and play.

I love my sidewinder. When microsoft stopped making them I (cried a little and then) went on E-bay myself and immediately picked up 3!:good:

I've used it with xp / vista and now 7 with no problems. I've never installed drivers, just let windows do its thing. The drawback is you cant use the sidewinder keymaping and profiles, but most flight sims let you keymap within game so its not such an issue.

In short. Do what Shiloh said. :grin:

Give a shout if you still have issues. :salute:

Edited by Macklroy

I used to fly EAW with the "Sidewinder", but later I got the THRUSTMASTER Flight Stick X,

which offers far more useful buttons, a twist stick with good accuracy, and a long life.

Here it is - I can really highly recommend it, and it is not expensive; ca. 40 Dollar.

Thanks for the comeback. I plugged it in and immediately got a message saying that a non-functional item had been detected.. After a few seconds it disappeared and another popped up saying 'Windows cannot tell what this is'. (or, words to that effect). Brooding over what to do next, if anything, I got up and went to the kitchen to put the kettle on. When I got back, there was a third message saying the necessary drivers had been installed. (Well Allright!) Problem is, when I went up for some Quick Combat, there's no response on the screen to stick movement. No guns when the trigger's pulled. I went to Joystick Controls in CFS3 and it's only showing the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro that I've been using. So close, and yet, so far. My computer guy will be here in a few hours for some other maintenance. I'll see what that brings. In the meantime, I'm still open to any suggestions.

ps: Macklroy, yes, It's a USB connector. Actually, it's a small parallel port plug with a short plug-to-USB adapter cable.

Edited by Hauksbee

The Sidewinder is up! It simply wanted to be plugged into a USB port on the tower itself. I'd filled all the USB ports on the tower, and in the last year I added another 4-port bar. About two months ago, I daisy-chained another 7-port bar onto that. It seems that the available power (I believe my computer guy said 120 milliamps, or some such) coming out of the tower, once it's been split 11 ways, isn't enough to drive the Sidewinder. Happily, I could relegate my wireless mouse USB to the end of the chain since it draws comparatively little juice. Now to see if the Sidewinder lives up to my memories of it.

Hihihi! If it doesn't - remember my hint above. It's similar, but better, and has more buttons.

I use it since years, and it still works fine.

Hihihi! If it doesn't - remember my hint above. It's similar, but better, and has more buttons.

I use it since years, and it still works fine.

While I was waiting for my computer guy to arrive, I poked around looking for a Thrustmaster. 'Found one on amazon.com for about $22.00 and bought it. (Can't have too many joysticks! ) After David left I took an SE-5 up for a little Quick Combat. I am pleased with the Sidewinder. It has a lot of rudder in the twist action; much more than the Logitech. But best of all, it flies my plane straight and steady. My irritation with both Logitech, and Scitek is that when I manage to be on somebody's 6:00, my plane bounces and wobbles all over. And I have wind and turbulence turned off. Makes it bloody impossible to get a shot off. 'Made me grit my teeth and yearn for Hellshades ability to get off those long, righteous bursts.

You won't have any wobbling with the Thrustmaster, Hauksbee.

It works great, and I think it has full rudder available, cause I can outmanoeuver

aircraft, which others here find hard to turn with. You'll soon see, if you like it.

Have fun!

You won't have any wobbling with the Thrustmaster, Hauksbee It works great, and I think it has full rudder available, cause I can outmanoeuver

aircraft, which others here find hard to turn with. You'll soon see, if you like it. Have fun!

Allright! 'Looking forward to it.

Glad to hear its up and running Hauk. In my opinion the sidewinder is the best stick out there still. I find the feel of it just right. I've used countless others and found nothing better.

Best stick with the best WWI flight sim. Can't go wrong. :drinks:

I find the feel of it just right.

Amen to that!