Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

An Eiserner Halbmond Will Soon Be In My WWI Aviation Collection

Greetings All,

On Tuesday I was fortunate enough to purchase a very fine example of the Eiserner Halbmond, (i.e. Harp Madalyası, Turkish War Medal, Gallipoli Star, et al). This particular Star was made by the German firm B.B. & Co of Berlin and is a beautiful enamelled version of the type often seen on the tunics of German officer pilots who served with Turkish forces during the Great War. To find an affordable example of the TWM has been a long and enjoyable quest for me, and now I only need wait a few more days for this one to arrive from England. It is accompanied by a ribbon that was found with the medal in amongst a collection of Turkish items discovered during an estate clearance. Here is a small photo of the medal and ribbon, and I will post a few HQ images once I have the items here:

Turkish_Star_BBandCo_001.jpg

I have a question posted at the Imperial Militaria Forum over at the Wehrmacht Awards website concerning the ribbon as I have never seen one for the TWM with the thin white band along each edge as shown above. I am unsure as to whether or not this is the true mate to this medal, but either way it is a wonderful find. Me so happy! :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Nice find. Now you're going to need another uniform to pin that on to. Have you already started to look for a WW1 German uniform? :grin:

Many say, Wikipedia was bad, but I often hit good finds there.

Here is your medal - plus the ribbon, Lou. It looks correct to me.

http://de.wikipedia....serner_Halbmond

I recommend to always look also to German Wikipedia, if it's about German stuff -

I often found much better detail then.

Congrats to that fine looking medals, Sir!

Edited by Olham

Though many people say, Wikipedia was bad, I often make good finds there.

Here is your medal with the correct ribbon to it, Lou.

http://de.wikipedia....serner_Halbmond

I recommend to always also click on "German" Wikipedia, if it's about German stuff;

I often found much better detail then.

Edited by Olham

PS: if you want to search German Ebay for such ribbons, you need to search for "Ordensband", Lou.

A fine find indeed, I give you joy of your purchase, Lou.

I have a question posted at the Imperial Militaria Forum over at the Wehrmacht Awards website concerning the ribbon as I have never seen one for the TWM with the thin white band along each edge as shown above.

So far, none of the reference photos shows a thin white outer stripe. 'Hope that's not critical.

Olham: does the name of the medal translate as "Iron Half-Moon"?

German: Eiserner Halbmond (translated: Iron Crescent or Iron Half Moon)

English name: Gallipoli Star

The medal was the Turkish equivalent to the Iron Cross, as far as I know.

Thank you Olham for the information and advice. I often search about on ebay.de and stumble my way through the translations. As to the Turkish War Medal being the equivalent of the German Iron Cross, I'll agree if you are talking about the EK2c. From all of my readings I gather the TWM is more akin to the French Croix de Guerre in that it was given out a lot for actions in the field, (but unlike the CdG it could only be presented once to the same individual).

Hasse Wind, I don't have anywhere to put a German uniform, much as I would like one. My little 'flying room' is quite full as it is.

Dej, thank you, I am sure I will enjoy this find for a good long time.

Hauksbee, not critical at all that the ribbon is not correct for the medal. As it turns out, it appears that it is a period ribbon for the Imperial Russian Order of St. Stanislaus. So I will actually be receiving two separate awards for the price of one. :smile:

My latest little gem arrived yesterday from England and it is a very clean, crisp original with a beautiful patina.

Turkish_Star_001.jpg

Turkish_Star_002.jpg

Turkish_Star_003.jpg

Turkish_Star_004.jpg

My cheapy digital camera really does not do this Star justice. It is an extremely fine German-made example of this WWI Turkish combat medal.

Me so happy! :smile:

You know you did not find the medal, Lou, don't you? The medal found you.

Congrats again, old chap!