Sign in to follow this  
ordway

SAAF Mirage F1AZ nearly finished

Here is a screenshot of the basically finished SAAF Mirage F1AZ ground attack fighter with its working laser range finder/designator under the nose and includes its skin. Reportedly, they were as accurate as F-16s in the dumb bomb drop mode. It also reportedly had dogfights with Angolan (Cuban) Mig-23MLs. It also intercepted a Mig-17. It is for SFP1

f1sidebest.jpg

The mostly finished SAAF Mirage F1AZ ground attack fighters cockpit based on the Mirage Factory's superb Jaguar cockpit. It has the equivalent of a CCIP. The SAAF basically designed this cockpit. It had a moving map and a laser that made its bombing incredibly accurate with dumb bombs.

f1cockpitbest.jpg

Just for kicks, here is a screenshot of an updated hires SAAF Mirage F1CZ fighter cockpit based on Foxmonters great Dassault Super Etendard cockpit.

f1czhires.jpg

I'm going to Burning Man and then to buying conferences, so these will be on hold for at least a month.

Edited by ordway

Holy...! This is awesome! Been looking for this aircraft for a long time.

It also reportedly had dogfights with Angolan (Cuban) Mig-23MLs

Yes indeed, and despite their heavier loadouts (with the 'clean' MiGs out-performing them in the acceleration), the F1s usually came on top:

FIG40-F1AZ-HUD-MIG23.jpg

Here's the layout of the -AZ's cockpit, with the moving map display in the centre:

img0001ckr.jpg

Great project!

Edited by ChrisBV
  • Like 1

Holy...! This is awesome! Been looking for this aircraft for a long time.

Yes indeed, and despite their heavier loadouts (with the 'clean' MiGs out-performing them in the acceleration), the F1s usually came on top:

Here's the layout of the -AZ's cockpit, with the moving map display in the centre:

img0001ckr.jpg

Great project!

Very nice drawing the drawing above is I think, of a later Az with the RWR in the round format in the upper right section. I could add that round RWR, however I think it is a later addtion than most if not all Bush War Azs had. I am going by Dick Lord's descriptions. However, I might be wrong.

Edited by ordway

Very nice drawing the drawing above is I think, of a later Az with the RWR in the round format in the upper right section. I could add that round RWR, however I think it is a later addtion than most if not all Bush War Azs had. I am going by Dick Lord's descriptions. However, I might be wrong.

I just released both the flyable SAAF Mirage F1CZ and the SAAF Mirage F1AZ available here:

http://combatace.com...-modified-sfp1/

http://combatace.com...-modified-sfp1/

Resized to 68% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargeF1CZ.jpg

Resized to 68% (was 1024 x 768) - Click image to enlargef1best7.jpg

• Like 1