Sign in to follow this  
Olham

New painting by Jerry Boucher: Airco DH-1

Just found this over at THE AERODROME - I like the look of that craft.

And with the two guns, it looks as impressive as an FE2b to me.

Edited by Olham

fabulous! Thanks for sharing!:drinks:

Just for FYI, that's a DH.1A. You can tell by the large radiator behind the pilot. DH.1 had a 70hp Renault engine and the DH.1A had a 120hp Beardmore. DH.1As served with No.14 Squadron in Egypt and Palestine. And, yes, nice painting!

And, something I learned when researching my new book, "Airco" wasn't used officially as a prefix until October 1918. Prior to that, Aircraft Manufacturing Company planes used the prefix "AMC." I'm too young to have interviewed WW1 pilots but Barry Gray did and informed me that none of the DH2 pilots he interviewed ever referred to it as "Airco," only AMC or "deHavilland." Combat reports reflect this as well. A little Cliff Clavin minutia for you.

I've said this before, but if I had a lot of money, I'd buy a truckload of such paintings and cover my walls with them. Excellent work.

Interesting information regarding the DH aircraft, JFM. When will the book come out? :drinks:

Very pretty, indeed. In that beautifully caught moment, it even looks easy to fly. (LOL) Is it my eye, or are those tail booms a bit on the thin side?

Yes, now that you mention it, the booms do look a tad thin.

Hasse, book is slated for publication "sometime" in 2012. I believe in spring; will keep you posted.

I'd still buy it, thin booms or no.

Looking forward to the book, JFM. :cool:

The tail booms seemed to have been thin steel tubes - they look really like that in this photo.

'Looks like he got it right after all.

Yes, you guys are right, they are skinny!

Olham, that's a DH1. Here's the DH1A, the plane he painted, in fact:

DH1A.jpg

Thanks, JFM - you got the correct picture indeed.Seems even to be the very plane Boucher painted?

Edited by Olham

Just for FYI, that's a DH.1A. You can tell by the large radiator behind the pilot. DH.1 had a 70hp Renault engine and the DH.1A had a 120hp Beardmore. DH.1As served with No.14 Squadron in Egypt and Palestine. And, yes, nice painting!

And, something I learned when researching my new book, "Airco" wasn't used officially as a prefix until October 1918. Prior to that, Aircraft Manufacturing Company planes used the prefix "AMC." I'm too young to have interviewed WW1 pilots but Barry Gray did and informed me that none of the DH2 pilots he interviewed ever referred to it as "Airco," only AMC or "deHavilland." Combat reports reflect this as well. A little Cliff Clavin minutia for you.

When I get around (posthoumously!) to writing my best-selling WW1 aviation novel, minutiae such as that are exactly what is needed to convince the knowledgeable reader and to stop folks like these here and over at The Aerodrome dismissing it out of hand :lol: Very interesting factoid there.

Yes, great painting and certainly a landscape I'd not fancy navigating by printed map.