Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Terrain Height field editing

HI,

Is there any better way to alter a terrains height field other than the "level airfield" in TW's terrain editor?

Cheers

that only works for 'airbase zones'. Also, don't forget 'adjust sea level' (which can also cause some 'interestering' effects (read: sinkholes/cenotes)

you can export the HeightMap as Bitmap, and then VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY carefully paint the parts you want using the same color map (for lack of a better name).

There's a tutorial/post/whatever in teh 1stGen KB about doing that

mind you .. a 1 pixel brush WILL create a change in heightfiel approx 5km in diameter, when the HM.bmp is reimported back into the TE

Mmmm, I figured a much, i've made some more targets for the south in Vietnam. Firebases, dirtstrip FAC airfields, VC Camps with more detail. The only problem is the way objects sit on the terrain they don't look that great, due to being so detailed. I was hoping for a way to level 1sqkm. I did go through using the level airfield but it was only effective at 3x3km and this makes the terrain look a bit boxy. I was hoping for a way to random it up a bit around the edges I levelled. Is there any way to increase the resolution of the bitmap the terrain editor exports?

Thanks for the quick response Wrench.

mind you .. a 1 pixel brush WILL create a change in heightfiel approx 5km in diameter, when the HM.bmp is reimported back into the TE

I'm going to have to disagree there, master :grin:

HeightMap export creates a bitmap double the size of the terrain. So 2 pixels are 1km there.

As a tile is 2x2 km, editing the hm.bmp in gimp gives a pretty good playing ground.

Of course I wish the resolution was much greater..

@bootsjunky: While working on this, watch out for the height scale settings for TerrainEditor.ini.

(Height of your highest peak) / 256 = HeightScale.

Because the bitmap is 256 bits...

Example:

[bitmapExport]

HeightScale=14

[bitmapImport]

HeightScale=14

MinLandHeight=0

Edited by PureBlue

Thanks for all the help. Between the level airfield tool carefully used along with a zillion backups and the export/import tool edited in photoshop i'm finally getting somewhere. However I really wish the resolution of the bitmap was much much larger.

Thanks again.

Edited by Boostjunky