Sign in to follow this  
ST0RM

Scooters.

Last Friday, while waiting for an 8-ship of F-15s to stop in for gas (they no-showed as usual), we were pleasantly surprised to see a smoky jet coming in on final. I figured it was another of the ATSI TA-4s that have been here, flying chase for the KC-767. Well, as it got closer I saw that the color was much lighter than normal. Then it hit me. It was one of the single seat A-4Ns and not another of the two-seat Scooters. The pilot saw us along the fence catching some pics, so he performed a touch & go. Needless to say, I snapped several photos.

A-4N N269WL KIAB 26082011 B sm.jpg

Fast forward to yesterday. I spent my lunch hour sitting in my truck watching the usual tankers in the pattern here. Beats answering phones at my desk. Along with local KC-135s, we had a Russian AF Tu-154 depart for the Open Skies treaty. At the same time, one of the KC-767s and it's two companions taxied out for a test mission. For the first time in several years, I was able to capture two A-4s in the same frame.

ATSI TA-4J_A-4N KIAB 31082011 Aa.jpg

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Great Shots... gotta love the scooters don't know why I just like em. Maybe its because they are simple and straightforward from a time when Electronics didn't design them...

Scooters are like the little cool looking shells found in Australia that sting you to death once you put them in your pocket.

• Like 1

EFFIN Awesome!!!!

The last time I saw scooters fly was when two were streaking out of Oceana nipping at the heels of a F-16.

Thanks to the 4 of you for replying. Glad the photos were liked. Seeing classic jets in person is just an awesome treat.

No problem thanks for uploading them and you are right about seeing Classic Jets still flying there is something about them that designers today don't get these birds designed before computers... ah well... :drinks:

oh! I soo envy you Jeff!

Scooters FTW!!! Thank you for sharing!:clapping:

Just saw these Jeff, great pics. Talk about being at the right place at the right time.

Great pics, I'm jealous!

Great !!! Saw the Scooter only once in the air: demo of an Australian (!) A-4G at the International Air Tattoo at Greenham Commons back in the '70's at the occasion of a jubilee of Queen Elizabeth (the carrier Melbourne was in Southampton for the occasion) . Great impressive little thing !!:good:

Houdoe,

Derk

Thanks for posting these shots. Last time I saw a scooter in flight was waaayyy back when the Blue Angels flew them...

Thanks for posting these shots. Last time I saw a scooter in flight was waaayyy back when the Blue Angels flew them...

You are are very welcome. Again, it was such a treat to see them.

This past weekend, I attended the Randolph AFB airshow. We were part of the static display with the tanker. Anyhow, I got the chance to see the Collings Foundation TA-4F and F-4D. Those were so cool and allowed us to sit in them and take a bunch of pics. I'll post them later. But seeing these classics in their element is just a joy.

Maj Lee. Yea, the Blues in the A-4 was an awesome show. Less noise, but I thought it was just better.

-Jeff