Sign in to follow this  
flameout513

Aug 2011 Update impact on Stock Aircraft

I just updated my program to the latest patch. All the stock aircraft are now just configurations files. Do we still mod as before and what if it is the same aircraft? I don't see the normal list of files that you would place in your mod folder. I have been away for a while from my SF2 some what has changed??

I appreciate any input you can provide. I won't mod yet until I know it is the same as before or we have to do something different.

Semper Fi

There's practically no difference in the manner in which folders for default TW aircraft are handled (or how they appear) in the last patch, over how they were handled in the original release. The only change is that the default textures now reside within their respective catalog files.

Mods are applied exactly the way one did with the original release (or with subsequent patches).

Don't worry, the files are in the .cat files in the main install, things are okay... You can't open the .cat file with the models themselves but you can open the .cat files with the new .cat extraction tool on the Thirdwire site.

Thank you both for your response and information. I wasn't sure about the extractor tool provided but now it all makes sense. Yes all has remained the same since the original release with the exception of the new tool and grouping textures into cat files.

Thanks again

don't forget, too, that when patching or adding a DLC, it will overwrite and/or remove any modded inis from the aircraft folders (and possible GroundObjects -but I'll have to check that one)

so, if you've got flyable RedAirs, they'll revert back to unflayalbe after patch or DLC installation.

Thank you Wrench REALLY important information. DLC & RedAirs? So if you add dowloaded componets (DLC?) or patch the DLC, if not impacting stock aircraft, you are fine but if they reference stock aircraft files they will revert to nonflyable or is it applicable to any file?

What are RedAirs - the airfiles?

RedAirs= in general Migs, Sukhois, Tupelovs, etc. In other words, any AI controled aircraft (which includes the Skyraiders and Canberras and Starfighters -oh my!)

a little helpfull hint is here:

http://combatace.com/topic/55746-patching-made-easy-part-deux/

the 2nd or 3rd post (don't exactly remeber which)

Thanks Wrench got it. DLC I got with the DLC Store (duh!). I know I am getting old but too soon for dementia.

I don't know a lot about the mods so I use the read me files and generally everything works out fine. A testament to the great work that everyone and you do in provding people like me with mods.

I do backup my mod files so that with each patch the updates are not that painful. The change TW made though seems to make it more difficult to add mods then the earlier versions.

The older aircraft that was SF2 mods should you stay with the newer ones?