Sign in to follow this  
Bossco82

Terrain object limit?

Hi,

I've been working on tweeking the Vietnam terrains for a few months now, adding Khe Sanh, firebases etc. However i've hit a problem, I got upto 315 target area's and the game when loading gets to 100% then crashes. If I go back to 314 target area's the game loads fine. Very strange, is there a limit for either the amount of objects or the amount of target area's? If there is does anyone know of an .ini edit to get around it.

Cheers

Seems more like a limit on just the amount of targets... I don't think anybody else has hit that problem...

Though may be a limit based on what's there, as my Afghan targets is up to 435 target areas (onsies or twosies though)...

Edited by EricJ

In my experience it's sort of a limit of groundobjects, target_areas and installed aircraft combined. It happens in my heavily modded installs when opening a single mission in Anatolia.

I do have many groundobjects for ships/tanks/aaa etc., around 400 target areas. Lockup at %100 in an install with many aircraft.

The crash chance also depends on the selected air defense levels. If I have them all at LIGHT, the mission sometimes load correctly.

SO, the workaround I found for it is, first run a single mission in a stock terrain. Quit without flying.

This sort of acts like caching for the engine, and anything after that will run without problems, campaign or single mission...

Edited by PureBlue

Well i've spent the morning investigating this. There must be an object limit for the terrain. It works if I load it at "enemy air defence medium" or if I take out the objects below my "[targerarea314]". I can have as many{targetareaXXX} as I like its seems to be simply the amount of objects the game has to load into the terrain. I don't think having 1200 objects at Khe Sanh alone is helping!

1200 single object at Khe Sanh??? I thought the targeta area limit was 999???

I've had long loading times on many terrains, but never a crash

I'm tring to remember when .. but I think TK may have said (many moons ago) that 999 was possible, for total target areas. And maybe for 'intrnal' listing (ie: Target[999])

nobody's ever gone that far before! (meaning: maybe a 3digit limit)

Thanks for the replies, yeah I know 1200 objects is a bit overboard but a lot of that is the perimeter fence. I'm planning to lower it. Even the small FAC bases i'm working on got upto 414 objects. It worked fine up until I started putting in more sams and aaa. I had initially reduced them but thought i'd make a high/low version. The high version is what i'm getting the 100% crash in. I've calculated the objects in total for my Vietnam terrain and when I go over 21860 I get the crash. I'm going to have to go back through it and try to lower the objects in my new target area's. It's a shame as I thought they looked pretty good.