Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Dark Falcon released!

Just wait until FLARE is finished for the terrain as well, then it really will be an all round beauty! http://www.cleared-t.../03/falcon-bms/ drinks.gifgood.gif

Edit: For those who haven't been following the Falcon world developments over the last decade or so, FLARE is an advanced overhaul for the Falcon terrain that was allegedly being developed for OF, this didn't make much sense as the developer seemed to be a very capable and intelligent man therefore most people saw past the cover story.

As soon as Giorgio explained he had chosen OF over FF as the Falcon flavour with most development going on, it was obvious that he knew something that most of us didn't, as OF has been as dead as Lead Pursuit for years, no updates, no development, nada.

OF was based on a leaked exe of BMS, the developers went hardcore for secrecy after that, hence the nick "Dark Falcon". Any leaked pictures, videos etc. provoked a barrage of trolling and childish behaviour, people acting as if they were owed something even though this is a free project off the back of hard work, unlike some of the least scrupulous out there that have ripped off other people's hard work and charged for it, or taken people's money only to disappear.

All in all, the BMS team always had a reputation for perfectionism in the Falcon world, and the "official rumours" indicated that they just weren't going to do a Vista with their project, the world could have it, but only when it would be at least as stable as AF, and better.

If you thought AF or the latest FF was stable, wait until you see Dark Falcon throw Chuck Norris style roundhouse kicks from the top of a fence post, after three jugs of Burboun, and still be more stable, not to mention prettier, with the highest fidelity avionics and flight model of any Falcon iteration period, and with the kinks ironed out of what was always, and still is, the best dynamic campaign engine developed for a flight sim ever - fact. Basically, this amounts to a mod that puts Falcon right back into the DCS age, and it's free! So whatta ya waiting for! lol.gifdrinks.gif

Edited by GwynO

Thanks for sharing. A long time passed since I used Falcon 4, maybe is time to return.

Looks like I know what I am doing over winter... right now where's that Falcon 4.0 CD... I know its here somewhere along with the original Manual...

I'm tweaking the sliders to push my ancient craptop as close to this vid as I can. I'm more than ready to consider upgrading hardware for this, I feel like a kid again! yikes.gifNow where are those force sensing HOTAS mods sold again? grin.gif

I suppose I'll be amending my sig soon then.. lol

Grrr have Manual but no Falcon 4 but I have Allied Force will it run okay with that as I know that they are both the same engine give or take...

Nope, they are very clear on that, it has to be the original Falcon 4 installation files whether contained on CD or on a folder on some other media. If you do find the disc, copy the content to a USB disc in case you need it again, or you could search see if it's stored somewhere already?

I picked up a second hand copy online for £5, worth it for the manual alone, I expect now they'll be going like hotcakes though, so get on teh Ebays! drinks.gif

Ok, I kow nothing about this sim other than that I have Falcon 4.0 AF and that it sucked bottom on my Windows 7 64b machine.

If someone is telling me that that there is a new version, and it is stable as in runs on W7 then I would be interested maybe....

Anyone wanna fill me in a little bit here?

~Rob

Check the FAQ on the site - tells me its for Win XP and Win 7 - so expect it will run on 7 x64 because thats the mainstream now.

You need the original Falcon 4.0 disk - which I got rid of years ago! - it wont work with F4:AF and it is not standlone.

Looks like a lot of work - the terrain tiles look to be the same - but everything else looks better.

Stability - well that remains to be seen.

I will probably install DCS A-10C as my next sim to learn which I got a few months back.............if I ever get round to that even.

So Falcon Versions in progress are now.

1. Free Falcon 5 (Free Standalone)
  2. BMS 4 (Free Add on for original Falcon 4.0 disk)

Open Falcon was disbanded a while back.....and Allied Force..........well LP are dead - so looks like I will be the only one using that - but its still a fantastic challenge in its late 1990s Balkans setting.

Edited by MigBuster

Thanks MiG, your opinion, as always, is welcomed. I think i will probably do like you are then. than k you for the advice.

~Rob

Call me a fool. Just bought this puppy from Amazon for $27. Can't wait to go naked at Mach 1..............

$27 for what? I'm guessing you bought or re bought the original Falcon 4.0 for installation because that's all that would cost, the mod is free and no one should be charging for it.

My craptop is well under the minimum specs, so I've been tweaking and twiddling with the graphics settings to get it as fast as it will go, ended up turning off literally every thing but keeping the sliders where the installer put them. It flies smooth as silk now, sooo fluid, and even with all the eye candy dialed down,. it's still looking better to my eyes than Free Falcon even.

The terrain tiles aren't that bad and will certainly get better when FLARE comes out soon, but for me the best thing is the fluidity and the stability! Even with the latest Free Falcon, I'd get the occasional graphic lock ups, but not once have I had any CTD, graphic lock up etc with this release, the sole issue was some graphic glitches at the edge of the F-18 and F-14 cockpits last night when I had eye candy turned on waay past what the craptop could take.

Enjoy! drinks.gifgood.gif

Edited by GwynO

Call me a fool. Just bought this puppy from Amazon for $27. Can't wait to go naked at Mach 1..............

I spent a lot more on the 3 widescreen pits for F4: Allied Force a few months back!

The thing is the original 1998 game is probably on classic gaming sites now as totally abandoned - after Free Falcon arrived you had to assume it was deader than AF

WOW - had no idea:

06_flare_02-28-2011.jpg

05_flare_02-28-2011.jpg

04_flare_02-28-2011.jpg

Edited by MigBuster

DX9 with pilots turning their heads - reminds me of something.......

gallery_8064_327_167006.jpg

3D clickable pit with 6DOF TrackIR:

gallery_8064_327_395251.jpg

well its new for me.......

Edited by MigBuster

time to break out the old disc!:good::yikes:

OK great, other than F4 cd (I can get from a friend who doesn't play anymore) what else would I need??

Where can this F.L.A.R.E. be downloaded/purchased from?

Well one issue - which could be positive or negative - they appear to have replaced the killer robot MiG-29 pilot from Allied Force with one who doesnt seem to have a clue in a gun fight :lol:

Edited by MigBuster

Thanks MigBuster, for the info, I heard of this site, never really checked it out. Does anyone know how to convert the site to english?

I've still got my F4 binder edition the wife bought me for Xmas in 1998, back when she could go to the store and buy me a game!

Thanks to AF I hadn't touched it in years, but it looks like it might be worth pulling it back out!