Sign in to follow this  
GwynO

Dark Falcon released!

i dont remember where, but i acquired the entire Falcon 4.0 manual in PDF a few years ago, which doesnt help WHILE im playing, maybe i load it on a laptop and set it next to me..

another note,

You guys are NEVER gonna guess where I found my Falcon 4.0 CD...........

i dont remember where, but i acquired the entire Falcon 4.0 manual in PDF a few years ago, which doesnt help WHILE im playing, maybe i load it on a laptop and set it next to me..

another note,

You guys are NEVER gonna guess where I found my Falcon 4.0 CD...........

Pause, Alt Tab to desktop, and read the PDF. Where was the CD?

Found a box in the closet of old PC parts (AMD K6-III, 10 or so burnt/retired CDRom Drives, a bunch of IDE Hard Drives, 2 dead socket 7 Mobos, Voodoo3 PCI, and a bunch of random cards.

The Falcon4 CD was inside one of the CD-ROM Drives, I had to paper Clip release it to open it..

Found a box in the closet of old PC parts (AMD K6-III, 10 or so burnt/retired CDRom Drives, a bunch of IDE Hard Drives, 2 dead socket 7 Mobos, Voodoo3 PCI, and a bunch of random cards.

The Falcon4 CD was inside one of the CD-ROM Drives, I had to paper Clip release it to open it..

Good job you looked! drinks.gif

Used and abused....and now you want it back!! :lol:

I downloaded this the other day. Absolutely amazing! Plus, with FLARE, it looks liek it will be even better.

after FLARE all they have left to do is bring some of the AI planes up to par w/ the F-16s.

Yes, even at release some of the other planes looked pretty poor compared to the F-16.

I do like some parts of it, like the cinematic overdone effects (similar to way I mod effects in fact) some blur, self shadowing, but some things aren't that great -ground units suffer from the "it's still 1996 software rendering" syndrome...

it's stable release given I tested it briefly, but in similar amount of time I used to have at least one or two CTDs with FF

post-8911-0-58162400-1315552571.jpg

post-8911-0-05023600-1315552605.jpg

this is how your cockpit lights up when you get hit by AAA:

post-8911-0-57829600-1315552670.jpg

some aircraft seem straight from F4:

post-8911-0-12126200-1315552719.jpg

will dig it more during this weekend...

anyone would like to remind me how to change aircraft (package) in TE?:blink:

...anyone would like to remind me how to change aircraft (package) in TE?:blink:

simply select a flight which has an aircraft you wish to fly from the list on the left, which is called the air tasking order (ato).

be advised tho, list shows only the flights created/available in that particular te, whether or not they are other than f16s is a whole another matter...

nice shots btw!

Edited by murad

The in-cockpit noises are genius - give me almost a sense of light headedness when flying this coupled with the movement of the FM - extremely well done here.

Quite pleased I got the impossible landing training mission first time - rudder pedals are pretty handy there!

Some cool things

Slave the Sniper pod to A-A radar (and also use VVI/AOA/ADI/HSI properly):

gallery_8064_681_71664.jpg

Light catching the scratches on the cockpit:

gallery_8064_681_162450.jpg

HMCS:

gallery_8064_681_283921.jpg

Rain on Camera affect:

gallery_8064_681_482326.jpg

Night refuelling with working tanker instruction lights:

gallery_8064_681_69605.jpg

Dynamic weather and clouds:

gallery_8064_681_132169.jpg

Great shots there MigBuster! Way cool with the TGP, I'm going to try that later cool.gif

I almost got three wheels down on the impossible landing, finally figuring out how to use the new Comms procedures to get the tower frequency. I haven't quite figured out how to get the ILS set up right yet, so back to RTFM for me I think grin.gif

I'm amazed that in all the time I played it so far, I haven't had so much as one lock up or CTD, when in that time I would have had at least a dozen in FF5.5.5, and I thought that was an improvement! Also, with absolutely all of the eye candy setting turned off, it still looks a hell of a lot better on my craptop than any previous version did on it, not to mention it runs smoother than silk panties down a prom queen's legs yikes.gif

No CTDs as yet

Radio comms - had to work that out for ramp starts so am getting there - I stuck all the checklists and PDFs on the iPhone using FileMagnet to refer to them during the sim - better than having loads of manuals everywhere and no space.

I haven't sorted the ILS out yet - but have managed 2 out of 2 dodgy landings on the impossible mission - one time landing on he last quarter of the runway! - would like to think the ILS actually helps me in this because in AF I never bothered.

My girlfriend's brother kindly offered to let me use his printer to do all the necessaries, I might be a ludite in some respects but I actually like the tactile thing of having an A5 binder with reinforced polythene pockets, for the price of what it would cost to have them done at Staples though, I could well have bought myself an I-phone yikes.gif

I got used to the ILS in Free Falcon being a kind of always there thing, like the magic E key in Strike Fighters, you just clicked on and that was it. Having looked a bit into it, it wasn't that hard, just have to hit 1 on the ICP to get the T-ILS input on the DED, enter 11030 for Kunsan ILS, enter the course heading for runway 36 at Kunsan, which is 356 degrees, and bingo! (Well it might well be bingo by the time my fat clumsy fingers get it all done using the hat view to pan around the cockpit, I really think this is time to invest in TIR and a proper HOTAS)

Now she's doing the ironing, time to go back for a sneaky TE cool.gifdrinks.gif

Edited by GwynO

The ILS and radio were always there in AF, and the threat/MSL volumes.

Managed to get the ILS thing working today and found out how to switch on and adjust the HCMS, and found the pitot heat switch. The Checklists someone has done on the docs folder are really handy for a lot of the things - even the ramp start - no end of new buttons to press - not convinced the BIT testing is really that worthwhile tbh - I suppose in a campaign I guess that and tire wear might come into it.

Like the HAF block 52+ with CFTs they stuck in the flight test mission - shame it seems to die on me and nose dive into the ground :grin:

This deserves to be on the front page of CA ... if that's not worth announcing news .....

• Like 1

This deserves to be on the front page of CA ... if that's not worth announcing news .....

+1 good.gifclapping.gif

Agreed.

After installing and making sure everything worked, I assigned some joystick buttons and jumped into a BAI campaign mission (that's a good idea right, after not playing any version of falcon in several years?).

Well, I didn't realize it was a night mission until I got in the cockpit, so I flew the first 1/2 of the mission through NVG. That didn't help. Was so confused on the way to the target trying to turn nav and strobe lights off and trying to get the MFD's to do what I wanted them to do that I flew right past the target area and over an SA-3 sight. Managed to dive and evade the one SA-3 that was lobbed up at me. Took another minute or so to get the HSD back up and find my way back to the target area. Then another few minutes trying to get GMT to work. Finally gave up on that and just turned on labels. Found some red ground units, but couldn't get an image up on my mavericks. Finally worked (didn't know it at the time, but so far it seems like you don't get any image from mavericks if you're above 12K...?). Fired a couple mavericks using boresight at some thing moving on the ground. After all that, time was up, so I just ended the mission and discarded the campaign.

So, note to self: I can't jump into a new version of Falcon when it's been years since I played another version of Falcon that I as only semi-competent in.

I've since re-assigned some joystick keys that are more important than they used to be and hacked my way around the Mavericks training TE. Something tells me I may want to try some more TE's before I jump into the campaign again.

I gotta figure out this new radio frequency stuff. I can't say I'm really excited about having to manage radio frequncies. That's probably the system I'm least interested in using. Oh well...

Agreed.

After installing and making sure everything worked, I assigned some joystick buttons and jumped into a BAI campaign mission (that's a good idea right, after not playing any version of falcon in several years?).

Well, I didn't realize it was a night mission until I got in the cockpit, so I flew the first 1/2 of the mission through NVG. That didn't help. Was so confused on the way to the target trying to turn nav and strobe lights off and trying to get the MFD's to do what I wanted them to do that I flew right past the target area and over an SA-3 sight. Managed to dive and evade the one SA-3 that was lobbed up at me. Took another minute or so to get the HSD back up and find my way back to the target area. Then another few minutes trying to get GMT to work. Finally gave up on that and just turned on labels. Found some red ground units, but couldn't get an image up on my mavericks. Finally worked (didn't know it at the time, but so far it seems like you don't get any image from mavericks if you're above 12K...?). Fired a couple mavericks using boresight at some thing moving on the ground. After all that, time was up, so I just ended the mission and discarded the campaign.

So, note to self: I can't jump into a new version of Falcon when it's been years since I played another version of Falcon that I as only semi-competent in.

I've since re-assigned some joystick keys that are more important than they used to be and hacked my way around the Mavericks training TE. Something tells me I may want to try some more TE's before I jump into the campaign again.

I gotta figure out this new radio frequency stuff. I can't say I'm really excited about having to manage radio frequncies. That's probably the system I'm least interested in using. Oh well...

You did brilliantly to get that far if you haven't played it for that long, it's still enough of a learning curve coming from FreeFalcon!

The Comms got me confused to start with, but it's actually not that bad. Check out the frequencies for the various airbases in the manual and the gif images for airport approaches, these will give you the tower frequencies, then it's just a simple matter of hitting the Comms 1 or 2 button on the ICP then enter the desired frequency (no need to include the . just enter the full string of digits) and hit enter and voila. However, I'm not quite up to speed on how you find out the freqs for Gas, AWACS, or other flights in MP. It will be a long cold spell in TE hell before I show my face in MP grin.gif

The AGM-88 is NOT the certified landing gear for the F-16!

or at least next time try the fuel tanks, they make better substitues :P

how it ended MigBuster?

Well I forgot to tick the BMS script option and it let me land it - seen here before driving into a revetment wall after trying to find the in cockpit beer can holder:

gallery_8064_327_159986.jpg

Edited by MigBuster