Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Paper Models

http://ecardmodels.com/index.php?cPath=108

Very interesting!.... Loads of WW1 aircraft to be had....I have linked to some free ones..including an EIII and some Spads.

I thought paper models would look sh*t....but they actually look very good

Indeed, some look really good. And they are cheap! Plus converting or adding more detail can be done much more easily than on plastic models.

Indeed, some look really good. And they are cheap! Plus converting or adding more detail can be done much more easily than on plastic models.

Have you tried any Foreigndevil?

Nice find there, may try one.

I recall back in the seventies I read an article in 'Scale Models' magazine, by someone who scratchbuilt rubber-powered scale balsa models of ww1 planes. Beautiful, they were, and I made a whole series of my own, rather crude tho mine were; satrted with DV, also had a Blue Max set of SE5, DVII and DrI, a Bleriot XI, and an FE2, all 1/24 scale IIRC. Just used scale drawings of my own; still have some old jotters with some of the drawings I made for their parts but the models are long gone. Were remarkably easy to make, even down to the props laminated from strips of balsa skewered in a wire then fanned out and sanded into shape. Have been thinking about making some more.

Here is a link to another paper modelling site that has all kinds of models. Planes, tanks, buildings, and what have you. It has been around for quite some time.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

Tony

You can do some pretty amazing stuff with paper, check this out:

Fleet%252520Pic.JPG

The paper model (which did fly) is the second from the top...the grey/white model of the Russian N-1 moon rocket. The only thing not paper on it besides the engine hook is the small fairings on the stages. Yep, even the lattice supports between stages are paper cutouts.

FC

wow!...I think I may have found a new hobby!

Have you tried any Foreigndevil?

Yes, just finished my first WW1 paper model of a Nieuport last week. I'll be making some more come next winter, it's great fun; there are several free models available on the net, just google for paper model aircraft. I also found some freeware and payware by googling 'Nieuport 17 images' etc. Fiddlersgreen has a nice collection of WW1 aircraft but the scale is rather odd.

Very cool, and amazing detail in some of those. Foreigndevil, please post a pic or two of your finished project. I for one would love to see it.

I'll see what I can do. If time allows I'll post a few pics before I go on holidays. Mind you, I'm just starting out in paper. But there is a lot of potential in these models and they will certainly serve their purpose (i.e. I need the models for my aviation art). Glad to read some of you are interested in paper modeling!

post-45978-0-36145700-1315581867.jpg

post-45978-0-12218300-1315581866.jpg

A Nieuport 17 and a Belgian Renard 17 (from fiddlersgreen); I slightly modified and painted the Nupe and added a paper pilot to the Renard.

Thanks, guys! They are very cheap, they just take a simple download and you can make as many as you want. You can even resize them. Another thing is that you actually feel like manufacturing an aircraft, cutting & bending the paper, ... It's more labor intensive and yet more fun than working on plastic models.

I'm certainly going to have a go! (though my model will probably look like the contents of a waste paper basket!) :rofl:

I found out that, by putting together my first models, I learned a lot about the (dis)advantages of paper modeling and that the mistakes I made can be avoided by this new knowledge. After my holidays I'll try my hand at some other models, a Nupe 11, for instance.