Sign in to follow this  
ShrikeHawk

Invisibility suit?

Just stumbled across this on YouTube. It looks like a hoax to me. The first version I saw of it had a lot of text how the Army made youtube take the video down...and then it goes ahead and shows the video anyway. This version has all that nonsense removed. I know the various studies are working on adaptive camouflage, but this video seems suspect to me. What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VomB58z0ZE&feature=related

I doubt this is real. The only real way to do this kind of thing is to have millions of cameras and millions of pixels on every part of the suit. The cameras would capture the picture behind you and show them to the viewer in the front. You cant do like they do in the sci-fi movies, you cant bend light around one person and so forth. And to make this kind of technology today without a massive energy source to drive it is probably impossible.

compression artifacts

but, yes, rumor has it X and Y military is tiny step from having such suits :blink: but no, but yes

For me, I notice that the guy is apparently invisible while running across the field. When he arrives at the tank, he's clearly visible again. Since a tank had just been mined or more likely struck by an IED, they were in a combat situation. So I can think of no reason why invisibility should be turned off when he arrives at the tank. That alone makes the video suspicious.

for an indivvidual i dont really believe it. for a vehicle it would be awesome it its finally true, though ground vehicles would still give off heat sig's and throw up dust not to mention get covered by dust. but it would be nice to sneak up on some bastard diggin the hole for the IED and go BOO! hell dont even catch him let him run back to the village and tell everyone bout the ghosts that came after him heheheheheh...............

Daddy we have drones for most of that... now they run to the village screamin' "Mohamed just pooped!":grin:

Such a suit would probably need an exoskeleton to help the user sustain the huge weight of millions of micro-sensors and micro-screens, and an advanced cooling system to prevent both the millions of side-by-side devices and the user from overheating, and a physical connection to an enormous power source to make all of the damned stuff work properly! And it would probably need hours of maintenance and astronomic costs for every minute of use! Definetely worthless safe for a couple of them for some special agencies crammed with billions dollars to waste! (CIA?)

Daddy we have drones for most of that... now they run to the village screamin' "Mohamed just pooped!":grin:

hey just thinkin sci fi mixed with Natural Born Killers. gotta leave one to tell the story.....

Such a suit would probably need an exoskeleton to help the user sustain the huge weight of millions of micro-sensors and micro-screens, and an advanced cooling system to prevent both the millions of side-by-side devices and the user from overheating, and a physical connection to an enormous power source to make all of the damned stuff work properly! And it would probably need hours of maintenance and astronomic costs for every minute of use! Definetely worthless safe for a couple of them for some special agencies crammed with billions dollars to waste! (CIA?)

Absolute invisibility is incredibly hard, but Adaptive Camouflage (meaning the camouflage 'uniform' changes to match the background) isn't that far off. It won't be extremely heavy and will require a little more power than your cell phone. Here's a link for what they're doing at the University of Tokyo and how they do it. The video below that shows how they do it. This tech requires a vid cam behind the wearer so, of course, this would be useless for a foot soldier. But right now, work is being done on nano-tech cameras that would add almost zero weight and serve as the "backside camera." check it out:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/invisibility-cloak.htm

Here's the vid:

After all that, I still don't think the vid that starts this thread is for real. Too many inconsistencies. Still, when Adaptive Camouflage finally deploys it'll be a game changer.

That technology is useless since it only works from one viewing angle and you have to use a projector that actually projects the image from the camera.

That's why the real success will be one with multiple cameras with overlapping FOVs in a 360 degree pattern.

1) It's a fake.

fake.jpg?1315291682

2) An 'invisibility suit' would not have to be perfect to be militarily useful. The idea, like stealth technology, is to be able to get close enough to your target to take him out first before he finds you. If you think of the idea as 'active camoflage', it makes a lot more sense. The idea isn't to make it perfect...but 'good enough' to be effective.

FC

Invisibility suits have been around for a long time. In fact, I have one. Here is a picture of me wearing it:

:grin:

Edited by malibu43
  • Like 3

Make a ghillie suit with "strings" and "leaves" changing color and rigidity to electric signals and kit it with micro cameras to take in the scene. Add thought-controlled cat ears http://neurowear.com/

This is a fake...

Saying that my old Ghillie suit was fun as it allowed me to get close enough for my work provided I used it correctly and observed the area and modified it to accept the surroundings... Remember though that any invisibility suit which is made is going to be flawed one way or another and the biggest one is going to be heat from the powerpack for one and then the other battery life, both of which are going to be a drain on the trooper carrying them as at present they have to carry enough batteries to keep a kid happy at Christmas... torch gps radio camera thermal sight batteries etc... All done a Good Ghillie suit with a thermal shield built in and an operator who knows what he is doing and you can sit and watch someone or something for days or weeks (provided you have enough food etc)... :ninja:

Invisibility suits have been around for a long time. In fact, I have one. Here is a picture of me wearing it:

:rofl::lol:

:lol: Oh that was good.

malibu, something's wrong with your picture, I can't see s**t! :sad:

(that was a sweet one :grin:)