Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Airco DH5 in progress

The Airco D.H.5 is built and rigged. The cockpit is done and I've started working on the skins. It should be done in a week or two. It uses the flight letters and squadron markings that come with First Eagles. It seems like a strange plane at first, but I've come to really like the reversed offset of the wings.

My monitor crashed a week ago and I'm still haven't got the color adjusted on the new monitor.

post-67404-0-71023000-1315619487.jpg

post-67404-0-22169500-1315619495.jpg

post-67404-0-65656800-1315619502.jpg

post-67404-0-82058700-1315619541.jpg

post-67404-0-68051900-1315619552.jpg

Edited by Stephen1918

Beautiful, Stephan. Thank you. A most unique bus.

HAHA stephen, back to work already! :clapping:

Did i give you the Lerhone 9J already?

HAHA stephen, back to work already! :clapping:

Did i give you the Lerhone 9J already?

Yes, I can't stop!

You gave me the LeRhone 9c 80hp, but I don't have the 9j 110hp.

Working on FM now. I need to read something about those kind of wings....or maybe fly the Dolphin more and look how it feels.

Working on FM now. I need to read something about those kind of wings....or maybe fly the Dolphin more and look how it feels.

Ojcar, I've never come across a great deal written about the DH5's handling characteristics, other than it was primarily designed for ground strafing, for which it proved effective during the infantry battles of Ypres and Cambrai. However I managed to dig this snippet out of a collection of photocoped pages of a forgotten aircraft encyclopedia.

"The back-stagger....caused a considerable loss in aerodynamic efficency due to increased turbulence between the wings. This made the stall characteristics more severe than on conventional biplanes, although not to the extent suggested by roumours of a stalling speed of 80mph.

"Overall the DH5 was pleasant to fly, with sensitive aileron control. It was highly manoeuvrable and able to execute all normal aerobatics....Its performance was best low down so it usually operated with Bristol Fighters and Sopwith Pups, these latter types looking after the higher airspace while the DH5s patrolled the lower levels."

Not much to work with, but I hope it does help a bit.

Cheers Grinseed

Edited by Grinseed

Stephen

I'm (back)staggered, it's beautiful - and will fill one of the remaining FE gaps!

Mike

Edited by Mike Dora

Thank you, Grinseed! Useful information. I'll try to catch the feeling and make the plane (and the beautiful model) some justice.

Great footage, btw!

Very nice - another gap in the FE planeset is about to be filled; not much left now, hope you can manage a BE2e and an LVG CVI efore you REALLY slow down!!!.

Some info on DH5 flight characteristics quoted from Profile Publications # 181 'the De Havilland DH5' by JM Bruce:

Report of the Testing Squadron of the RFC's Central Flying School in December 1916:

'Stability - quite satisfactory. Lateral and longitudnal very good, directional fair. Controllability - quite satisfactory. Machine easy to land and to fly. Handy and quick in the air. Length of run to unstick 60 yards. To pull up with engine stopped 120 yards. Tactical features - Vickers gun...can be elevated to about 60 degrees from the horizontal. Facilities for reconnaissance good. Machine is handy and quick in the air. The view forwards, upwards and downwards is very good...directly behind is badly masked by top plane.'

Capt JE Doyle DFC writing after a first flight, reported '...the DH5's stalling characteristics had been exaggerated, and on the flight home I found it a most comfortable and pleasant machine to fly, extremely sensitive to aileron control.'

FM work finished days ago...I hope I have caught the plane feeling... Now is time for more great little details from Stephen. This plane will be great!