Sign in to follow this  
logan4

3ds Little advice pls.....

Hi,

I'm kind of new to modelling and working on few models of my own in 3ds max2k9, but with 2-3 of them I ran into a strange symptom. Namely when ever I try to land (landbases) and I descend to 40 to 50 ft AGL range the game freezes up and only ctrl-alt-del the solution to clear it. It happens with both type of lods either exported with decal or without it.

This happens in SF2 regardless it is single or full merged install.

I have tried the followings so far to pinpoint the faulty mesh but had no luck:

- checked with 3ds max for any open mesh or surface or loose vertex - all was said good, no openings or problems

- checked every mesh that it has the same amount of vertices, lines and polygons as it is visually accountable - no strangers

- checked the direction of faces on all meshes - all faces/polygons are facing outward, no backflips

- checked the min-max extents for every mesh - all is in the right place, size and position

- direction and position of pivotpoints - all aligned with the max x-y-z coordinates as required in tw games centered to appropiate mesh with the exception of slats, flaps, rudders, ailerons and gear system components they are aligned to their proper angles and turning points.

- exported and reimported either the whole model or given meshes that didn't seemed right, to formats, 3ds, obj - no difference

- recreated most of the meshes from scratch - no avail either, some of them I had done or remade 5-6 times already

- checked _Data.ini and cockpit.ini files for object parameters - I saw no problems with the values as the min-max are set based on the min-max exporter list.

- no loose mesh in models that are not linked to either the fuselage or given related mesh and the fuselage is the top-most in the list

2 of the models are not UVW mapped yet, but the third is in the middle of mapping, the meshes are either "editable mesh" or "editable poly", none of them "line, bolean, cilinder or such". No animations were set in the models yet.

The meshes are using the standard blinn type max materials with the exception of canopyglass and formation/position lights or IRST sensors, each required tga is located in the given plane's skinfolder. Number of materials are bellow 8 on each model

No meshes are set with "backface cull" parameter.

Models are around 20-24k polys and 48-73k verts, number of nodes ranges from 82-107 (but these will change slightly)

Models were made in "meters" where 1m equals 1m.

I have gone through the knowledge bases in sf1 and sf2 sections but didn't found relevant information.

Earlier I had decal issues with some meshes but those seem to be sorted out as I started to UVWmap the model and done it on those given meshes, now those show correctly, but this landing freez issue still persist.dntknw.gif

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance!

logan4

A side question: What is the best/proper solution to avoid second decal showing on the inside of the intake or cockpit? Only with separate mesh for the interior of it or detaching the inside somehow (wouldn't this create open mesh)?

Edited by logan4

Logan,

are you sure it's a 3d model problem? ... You say there isnt animation yet, so the model is the same at 30 ft or at 10000 ft ... the question is: what changes in your model with altitude?

Couldnt it be something wrong in the .ini files of your model and not into the 3d model itself?

Had Other peoples same problem trying your models?

About decals ... the best solution is the one you said.

Doesnt sound like 3d issue...never had those symptoms...usually its an ini issue,such as game looking for something that isnt there,Ive had models where the data.ini lists the mesh\item that I hadnt added.

Edited by russouk2004

Hard to say, but i´d also doubt a 3D model fault. Since it happens only near ground, it could either be an entry for the landing gear or some sort of collision point issue. In general i would say, you´re missing a meshname the Data.INI calls for.

You have linked and not grouped meshes, right? Not sure if the game would load with grouped meshes, but when, might have weird behavior like freezing.

For decals, it is the best to devide the meshes into seperate parts, even when there are holes then. In most cases it works like a charm, but if you face fecal bleeding, you can prevent this by exporting with decals.

are you sure it's a 3d model problem? ... You say there isnt animation yet, so the model is the same at 30 ft or at 10000 ft ... the question is: what changes in your model with altitude?

Couldnt it be something wrong in the .ini files of your model and not into the 3d model itself?

ErikGen,

The only difference in the model is that I have the landing gear open. Attached some pics. Others did not tried out my models yet as I thought it is better to send over if I have it working properly in my installs then can be tested on various systems and I wasn't sure that if I ever get to the finish line on it.

Thank you the info on the decal solution.

Since 3 of you advice on the ini problem, after work I gonna start to look it through searching for the missing mesh or colision points mistakes.

Thank you for the infos and the data.

Have a great day/night for all!

Logan4

post-30564-0-32473100-1315769164.jpg

post-30564-0-58678900-1315769182.jpg

REM out all the Collision and Min/Max Extents.... if the problem goes away there's a typo in one of the coordinates. But a CTD usually calls for either a mesh, sound, or animation ID that doesnt exist.

REM out all the Collision and Min/Max Extents.... if the problem goes away there's a typo in one of the coordinates. But a CTD usually calls for either a mesh, sound, or animation ID that doesnt exist.

I got some starting "results". First I rem-ed the above in all items, I and my wingy managed to crash on the runway without freez in the game. Next try I enabled all min-max extent and the plane was only reported "damaged" me still being alive, but the srceen itself was a big white image and speed and altitude readout was 1kts and 1ft. Aside the whiteness and unable to get an outside - F5,F6,F10 view of my own plane the game was running the wingies still in landing patern.:heat:

I use the following sounds which I listed in the data.ini. They are all located in the sound folder, and other planes using them have no landing issues.

[sound]

WindSoundName=USNwind

StallSoundName=USNstall

EngineSoundName=JetEngine

AfterburnerSoundName=Xle2

DamagedEngineSound=USNovsp

FlapsSoundName=USNflaps

AirbrakesSoundName=AirBrakes

GearsSound=Gear

LandingSoundName=TireTouch

So going for check all collision data. Just for clarification, originally I used the mesh connection/touch points to each other. Was I on the right track or way off in my methode?

Again thanks all the info and the help you gusy gave :salute::good:

logan4

You have linked and not grouped meshes, right? Not sure if the game would load with grouped meshes, but when, might have weird behavior like freezing.

Yes, they are only linked, no mesh groups in the model.

Hello Gents,

Sorry for getting back so late but, haven't got much time recently.

So far not much progress, but noticed a vierd thing. If I use the older, not the dec2010 max exporter, than in the F6 view it zooms off from the plane to about 200m. It is still better than the 106004800300000km I had with that same exporter a year ago.

With the dec exporter the "F" views work normally.

If anyone has some notion about that please share.

Thank you very much in advance.

Logan4

Edited by logan4