Sign in to follow this  
Olham

WW1 Aviation History In Color - HD

WW1 Aviation History In Color HD - it's in French, but even if you don't understand it

it is well worth to watch. Enjoy!

Part One

Part Two

Edited by Olham

WW1 Aviation History In Color HD - Part Three

Edited by Olham

Si on veut le voir en Anglais, on peut l'acheter á Amazon: £5.99. C'est trés bon.

Si on veut le voir en Anglais, on peut l'acheter á Amazon: £5.99. C'est trés bon.

In spite having a copy, I haven't watch it yet.

But I've read in more than in one place, that not all its colours are correct.

Have you spotted any of that, Dej?

Edited by Von Paulus

Well, one example is the Fokker Dreidecker with the Tatzenkreuz (1917 Iron Cross).

It is shown all red in the film. But only MvR's last Triplane, short before his death, was

all red. That craft had the new Balkenkreuz painted on.

The others had a red nose and tail section and upper wing, but the rest was mostly

grey-green.

Edited by Olham

In spite having a copy, I haven't watch it yet.

But I've read in more than in one place, that not all its colours are correct.

Have you spotted any of that, Dej?

In places they are not, true. But overall, what has been done is quite remarkable and it makes a surprising difference to see familiar clips in colour... one loses a 'buffer', of sorts. The clip that ODB use in OFF, of pilots chatting and smoking as they walk out to their machines, for example... much more poignant in colour.

Yep, I thought the same about exactly the same clip, Dej.

Some of it doesn't look like almost 100 years ago, but so much closer.

Olham, two fine videos there with colorized versions of some well-known B&W footage. And the addition of a sound track to the clips also helps bring them more to life. Thanks for sharing Sir.

Thank you Olham and Lou for posting these - I'll be sure to watch. I'm about 3/4 of the way through The Lost Battalion, a WWI movie about an American battalion that gets surrounded on an Argonne offensive. I'm really enjoying it so far but will reserve my final judgment until I see the end. It is in a bunch of parts on Youtube and when you finish watching a clip it automatically provides an option to watch the next.

Thanks both for posting these. I have only watched the first part so far (in French - that will teach me to read the whole thread first). I was amazed to see film of the Santos-Dumont aeroplane from before the war.

Although I know they had developed cine film by that time, the thing looks so old fashioned it still came as a surprise to see it on film.

Thanks for the links guys! :good:

Looks very interesting! :smile:

I found out that "Blood in the Air" is actually a episode of the series "World War One In Colour" from 2007.

World War I in Colour

Release Date: 2007

Duration: 60 min

Studio: Channel 5Narrated by: Kenneth Branagh

World War I in Colour is a Channel 5 documentary (6 x 50-minute episodes) made with the cooperation of the Imperial War Museum, designed to make the Great War come alive for a 21st-century audience. The events of 1914-18 are authoritatively narrated by Kenneth Branagh, who presents the military and political overview, while interviews with historians add different perspectives.

The human cost is conveyed by moving interviews with the now very elderly survivors, and by extracts from letters and memoirs. All aspects of the war, on land, sea and air are covered in separate programmes. In theory the series continues the heritage of ITV's The Second World War in Colour (1999) and Britain at War in Colour (2000), and with 75 per cent of the material never shown on television before there is every reason to watch. The crucial difference between this and the WWII programmes is that the Great War wasn't filmed in colour, and the footage has been computer colourised.

The programme-makers argue the conflict itself was in colour--but however realistic the digital processing, it still feels inauthentic and historically a distortion. Worse still is their destroying the original compositions by cropping the top and bottom of the material to fit widescreen TVs. The result is a potentially excellent series badly presented, best watched with the colour turned off.

Even then it cannot compete with the BBC's 26-part The Great War (1964), still one of the finest documentaries ever made.

Watch World War One In Colour Free Online:

http://www.ovguide.c...e_in_colour.htm#

Cheers

vonOben