Sign in to follow this  
steelflanker

Noise & Water after Sep 2011 update?

Is it just me or are the NOISENORMAL & WATERNORMAL not being displayed after applying the Sep 2011 update?

With graphics set to Unlimited I have no bumps on my ground texture & my rivers & sea are motionless!!

This may be the effect of me being one of the only losers still using Windows XP & DX9?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Another minor issue is that if I select a different skin for each aircraft in my flight.

The patch displayed is always the last colour scheme I’ve selected & wont change when I select the previous or the next aircraft.

Any idears?

Thanks

SF

Complete Merged install

Windows XP

DX9

Graphics Unlimited

Clean ( NO MODS)

It's probably because you're a loser with XP and DX9 as I have Win7 and probably the latest DirectX (which I think Medal of Honor installed for me) so I still have it.

Still feeling left out with my rusty old system & ageing software.

But there’s a plan to remedy that soon at least.

Can't wait! :-)

Seems with every update some things a fixed & some things that were working perfectly fine break or get taken away.

We can’t win! .lol

Uninstalling & going back to August 2011 for now! ;- )

In hindsight, it would probably have best to test new updates on a separate install or make a backup of my main ThirdWire folder at least.

Here go’s the next hour or so installing 4 Titles, 2 Expansion packs, 3 DLC’s & not to mention the updates.

I should have learned my lesson by now!!!!

Well the good thing if you go to Win7 its just as reliable as XP, without the headache of Vista...

DX10/11 is the future, I’m getting left behind with DX9 as it is!

Ok reinstalled the whole lot, stopping at the August 2011 update.

Still got NO noise textures showing on the terrain or water! :dntknw:

How I didn’t notice before I don’t know?

It must have gone after the August update!

As it was defiantly working when I uploaded my Desert Viper skin at the beginning of August.

It can be seen it in my screenshots! I must have updated just after.

Anyone else noticed this or have any ideas for a fix?

Not going to reinstall just to get back to the July level.

Sod that for a game of solders!

SF

Noticed it too.

July 2011 is the last version that attempts water effects on my XP system. (Eventhough I use unofficial DX10 for XP.)

I may have even caused it, because of my complaint at the thirdwire tech support forum: Link

It is kinda strange because the SF1 series always gave me decent water effects on any OS, so what kept TK from preserving that with SF2?

He probably does not care anymore since he announced DX9/XP support will be dropped with the next F-14 game.

Edited by gerwin

Thanks 4 the replies guys! :- )

Doubt its anything you said, its just progress & the future I guess.

I can’t blame TK for moving forward as really is XP & DX9 is yesterdays software.

To be fair the system requirements for all the second generation titles state Windows 7/Vista & DirectX 10 is required.

As for the (Noise) ground & water effects, can anybody confirm this is solely XP & DX9 related?

If so that’s fine & ‘fault’ is my side with me still using outdated software. I will hopefully be able to remedy the problem soon with a hardware & software upgrade.

However if there are Windows7 & DX10+ users experiencing the same problem I’ll have to shed a few tears on the Third Wire forms………

SF

Why are people still using XP? Must be some kind of masochist fetish.

Why are people still using XP? Must be some kind of masochist fetish.

I guess because some people don’t have the faculties to upgrade there software when they please.

If XP is not broke & still doing its job then the £70 odd quid for Windows 7 can be used for other family essentials like children’s school clothes or internet & electric bills!

Or perhaps for some, an operating system upgrade would make better sense if done together with a hardware up grade.

In my case at least I should have a new rig running Windows 7 & DX10 in a few weeks. :grin:

But with a growing family & financial climate the way it is at the moment, one thing is for sure, I will most likely be one of the last people to up grade to Windows 8 or 9 in the future!

Not a “masochist fetish” but rather a matter of priorities.

SF

I understand that win 7 ---8 >>>>> 9 are where its at, the future like Steelflanker I have other responsibility's before I can upgrade but on a side note I have a win7Pro box that is supposed to run my Home Theater PC just for the DVR operations I can't stand watching TV like a Gawd Damm savage!! but when i did the service pack upgrade it started junking out on me, apps stopped working and it would freeze up i did the return to earlier point it worked for a little while then went south again and wouldn't do updates even if i tried to manually install them i guess I'll have to reinstall win7 but it ain't letting me do that ether arghhh! I tell ya if i could get Windows Media Center to run on XP I would go back to old reliable.......