Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

Indian Navy P-8I First Pic

Niiiiiiiiice... [2]

I think that one, maybe two months ago the firsts pics of the brazilian P-3 were released...

You have to admit military paint schemes for large birds are never very inspiring. I think the last good ones were the SEA B-52s in the early 70s.

I wonder if the P-8 is actually supposed to fly as low as the P-3 or if it's only going to be flying low for a Boeing.

Edited by JediMaster

Doubt it, RAF Nimrods could be found down that low regularly however they were of much beefier construction than a 737. Can't imagine a modern tube liner would handle the stresses of prolonged and regular low altitude flight very well.

Craig

I've heard it's been strengthened, not least because of being able to drop the sonobouys and having the weapons bays, but I doubt that P-8s will get as many decades as a P-3 in that regime. Not without major, regular SLEPs. However, it's also possible by the time the P-8s need it everyone will just use marine UAVs anyway.

Navy's first P-8I- IN321 landing at Arakkonam Naval Air Station joing INAS 312"ALbatross" - the same squadron that operates the Tu-142M.

942192_542283502476944_1216893525_n.jpg

971793_542283525810275_197581924_n.jpg

264575_542283512476943_409494477_n.jpg

525752_542283589143602_1482084832_n.jpg

• Like 2

Is "ARK" the base tailcode then?

Is "ARK" the base tailcode then?

Yes, "ARK" stands for Arakkonam Naval Air Station. The Tu-142s too have the same tail code.

The IL-38SDs & Do-228s based at Dabolim Naval Station have "DAB" tail codes.

How old are those 38s now? Are the P-8s to replace them, the 142s, or some of both?

How old are those 38s now? Are the P-8s to replace them, the 142s, or some of both?

The IL-38s are more than 35 years old now. They were commissioned by the Navy in 1977/78.

The P-8 is flying with INAS 312 "Albatross" - meant to supplement/replace the Tu-142s of the squadron. Don't knows what will be the fate of the Bears once all the P-8Is arrive.

The 38s, which were upgraded with the Sea Dragon suite and re-designated as IL-38SD, are flying with INAS 315 "Winged Stallions".

Pretty amazing that the 35+ yr old birds aren't considered old compared to some of what else is flying.

Those like the B-52, KC-135, Tu-95/142, P-3...literally generations have passed working on the same plane.