Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

A question about Roundals

Here's one for you WW1 buffs!

Anyone noticed that RFC Roundals are not always in the same position on the wings, even on the same aircraft type, in many pictures you see floating about.

Some are much nearer the wingtips....others much nearer the pilot.

Was there not some standardisation on insignia?

If you look at the pictures that Olham has put up in another post.... look at the SE5a's....and you'll see what I mean

(namely the two aircraft with 'H' and 'I' on them...picture 1)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Couldn't find anything about the positioning so far, but here's Wiki about the British roundels:

http://en.wikipedia...._Force_roundels

For German Albatros, I read that the Johannisthal plant placed the fuselage crosses further

back, while the OAW placed them further forward.

But I guess, in case of the upper wing roundels, there was a change ordered by British High

Command for some reasons?

Edited by Olham

Positioning of the cockades varied by date, batch and contractor. Check Sandbagger's skins.

Cheers,

shredward

ah..thanks Shredward :drinks:

For example - aircraft manufacturer RAF (Royal Aircraft Factory) located their roundels further inboard than other manufacturers - the SE5's and the latest FE2b's show this well as well as some other British built aircraft. Also, different manufacturers had their own way of creating the serial numbers anbd locating them, on either the fin, rudder or fuselage.

Franch manufacturers did similar - for example the Spad XIII was manufactured not just by SPAD, but also Kellner, Bleriot and Bernard. Each had their own version of camouflage and style for marking the serials on the rudder.

As Shredward said, if you scan through the many allied skins in the skins folder (use Infanview), you see what we mean.

Edited by sandbagger

Indeed Sandbagger...I have spent many (my wife would say sad) hours perusing the skins!...a joy to behold....and I never knew why they placed them in different places, until you guys told me.

I had meant to ask the question before...and it was Olham's post that reminded me.

The AEF roundels were even closer still to the fuselage!

One learns so much from this forum!...to hell with the Imperial War Museum!..... This is where it's at!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I wonder how many hours Pol, Winder, and Sandbagger have spent at the Imperial War Museum, just getting every niggling little detail just so!

Yes...I would dearly love to see where they got the info from....If I went to visit any of them..they'd have to call a bailiff to remove me from their computers!

Yes...I would dearly love to see where they got the info from....If I went to visit any of them..they'd have to call a bailiff to remove me from their computers!

Actually, although we all 'dig into' the markings and aircraft detail before we skin, we rely heavily on 'Shredward'. Ted has a vast collection of WW1 data and it's him who sends us skinners what we need to create as authentic markings as is possible. Ted once skinned himself but is now our guru - without him we couldn't do what we do to the same level.

Right...it's all round Shreds place then! :lol::good:

One learns so much from this forum!...to hell with the Imperial War Museum!..... This is where it's at!

Many times I've been amazed at the arcane questions posted here...and answered by day's end.

Many times I've been amazed at the arcane questions posted here...and answered by day's end.

Actually and with no disrespect to Ted, one common word used throughout my 27 years of service in the RAF was 'shreddies'. The name refers to when the RAF issued all personal clothing to service personnel. The men were issued with 'Drawers, cellular'. They were loose-legged underwear that would come down to mid-thigh and were made from a cellular cotton fabric. When they rubbed against the rough material of our RAF trousers, they would shred, especially at the crotch!!!

Like I said, no disrespect to Ted :blink:

As Shredward said, if you scan through the many allied skins in the skins folder (use Infanview), you see what we mean.

Does Infanview work with .dds files? I've always used DTXBMP.

Irfanview is perfect for looking through the .dds skins, Lewie.