Sign in to follow this  
Olham

No parachute!

I was sort of hoping that this would be something to do with A G Lee's superb collection of diary entries, however, given that it's the best anti war film of all time, you get a major league pass! A superb film which everyone should watch.

Arthur Gould Lee's book was recommended by me many times here, but to say it again:

Lee hasn't only written great, informative and illustrating letters almost daily, which are compiled in the book "No parachute!".

What any German readers may find very special about it, is the fact that Lee never paints one of those sinister clichee images

of his German opponents, but he describes their actions and ways much the same as he does about his Entente comrades.

He was a very intelligent man, who could see very well beyond any propaganda, and he was well aware, that the pilots in the

planes with the cross on were actually much the same as his own comrades - young men, young pilots, trying to survive the

everyday madness of the Great War.

I haven't read enough about WW1 aviation, that I could say it is definitely one of the best books you could read.

But it is more than enough for me to know, that Shredward, RAF_Louvert or Dej say this about the book.

Oh, yes, and you too, mighty.

And yes: CATCH 22 is something very special too! :good:

Olham,

"What any German readers may find very special about it, is the fact that Lee never paints one of those sinister clichee images

of his German opponents, but he describes their actions and ways much the same as he does about his Entente comrades.

He was a very intelligent man, who could see very well beyond any propaganda, and he was well aware, that the pilots in the

planes with the cross on were actually much the same as his own comrades - young men, young pilots, trying to survive the

everyday madness of the Great War."

It might be vaguely of interest to you to learn that it was this book that opened my eyes about the air war in 1914-18. Prior to that I'd picked up, read and discarded as rubbish two potboilers about von Richtofen and Brown, the titles of which I won't divulge since no-one should read them!

Lee was different. This wasn't the musings of a hack whose interest was at best prurient: this was the recorded feelings of a flyer who had more reason than most to worry about his fate, but who laid it out with absolutely brutal candour. Pilots cracked up; they died in unnecessary ways; they were pressured; they got pissed; they knew they could be burned to a crisp after each sunrise; they felt their aircraft inferior to those of their foe, and that their own high command didn't really care about their fates: it wasn't called "No Parachute" without a reason.

Lee's politics are vastly different to mine, but he certainly identified the mindset of flyers of the period, and, of course, he never resorted to mindless jingoism with regard to the fight against his German adversaries.

What a shame more books of this ilk aren't available. A remarkable addition to the literary pantheon of the time - oh yeah, he could write a bit too.

I wonder how "Sagittarius rising" and the book of (or about) Rhys-Davids will be compared to Lee's book.

They are the next two I would like to read.

I'm reading "Sagittarias Rising" right now, and it is a lot like "No Parachute" in a lot of ways, particularly in the lack of vitriol and anger toward the fighters on the other side. Lee's work has more vivid details about the actual battles, whilst Lewis' is more impressionistic. Lee is also much more willing than Lewis to criticize the General staff for their lack of foresight about parachutes and the poor performance of most of the RAF fighters until the Se5a came along.

One of the most interesting things to read in "Sagittarias Rising" is Lewis' description of flying the Morane Parasol. Words like "pilot killer" and "deathtrap" spring to mind, although he says it could outperform the Fokker DI in both the climb and level flight speed. The elevator was apparently extremely sensitive, leading to easy stalls, so much so that pilots were told not to attempt ANY turns below 500 feet!

I am about to read No Parachute looking forward to it, but I have read "Sagittarias Rising" twice and Cecil Lewis' life makes my dizzy - there are a few characters in history that go on to just do amazing thing after amazing thing and he is one of those. He was witness to Albert Ball's last moments, then was winning an Oscar, trying to teach / create a fledgling Chinese air force, co founder of the BBC and so on - nuts!

Enjoy his book you will not be disappointed Olham. Wonderful fluid descriptions of life above the clouds, and he also touches on the futility of it all with deaths to close friends of his - and yes the Parasol and his adventures in it are very well described. My favourite book so far.

Now I only wonder, if I should get it in translation, or in English.

His book is one of the very few got translated - I actually don't know any other title by a British fighter pilot.

Now I only wonder, if I should get it in translation, or in English.

His book is one of the very few got translated - I actually don't know any other title by a British fighter pilot.

Olham, 'Saggitarius' is at times a beautiful, almost poetic account of flying in that time and Lewis has a fine command of the language and I think, given you're command of English, you would appreciate it more as is - rather than risk a translation (however well-intended).

You're right, I think.

And it's already decided financially: German book not below 26,- Euro; English book second hand: 2,50 Euro.

You're right, I think.

And it's already decided financially: German book not below 26,- Euro; English book second hand: 2,50 Euro.

So be it! I shall enjoy Malaula! while you enjoy Sagittarius Rising . . . life is good, eh! :drinks:

Thank you, Pol, I guess I will.

And you won't regret getting "No Parachute!"

Lee went through no less but three forced landings during the Battle of Cambrai,

and the man must have had many more than 9 lives, and an overdose of luck.

Edited by Olham