FastCargo

So, anyone using Windows 8 yet?

For those who don't know, Microsoft has released a pre-beta version of Win8 out into the wild...similar to what they did for Win7. I've currently got it installed on a Dell Mini 9 (kids computer)...Intel Atom 1.6 GHz with 1GB RAM and integrated graphics.

First thing...it's pretty darn stable considering technically it's an alpha.

Secondly, it's designed to operate as a mobile (ie touchscreen) or a conventional interface...makes sense because it's rumored to be able to run on ARM processors.

Third, as you might not expect, it's fast! It boots far quicker than WinXP did on this machine, which is remarkable since the Mini 9 was designed to run a stripped version of WinXP. Actual operation seems about the same in terms of speed, with built in antiviral, firewall, etc.

I was impressed with Win7, but Win8 so far seems even smoother. I think the development of Windows Mobile 7 has paid dividends in helping tighten up the code for Windows 8.

So if you've got a computer to spare, give Windows 8 a shot and report here. I'd like to see what other folks are getting for performance.

FC

I heard, the new BSOD has a smiley in it.

:lol:

About a year after it comes out as retail and the bugs are ironed out I will be right with ya - but have fun :grin:

Shove it on an SSD to make it load faster - win 7 loaded in about 7 seconds to the DT when I tried it (3 of them were the BIOS screen) :good:

Unless I buy new and the O.S. is already installed proving to be pretty reliable. I use the latest trusted for as long as possible. Not much for BETA testing when my PC is used for gaming and financing, love to hear the new stuff that is planed and coming down the pipe though.

M$ are knocking out OS's like they're going out of fashion!....I'll be sticking to 7 for the foreseable :drinks:

How big is the install? I assume it just installsjust part of it on a tablet/mobile device because installing a 20+GB OS on a tablet PC is just stupid. Also, installing files for a touch screen when I don't have a touch screen and never want one is stupid also. Bloatware does not float my boat.

Edited by PinkPanther

Well, to be fair this will come out about 3 years after 7. Remember that used to be the scale. Win XP halted everything and it got stagnant until Vista, 5 long years.

Win 95->98 3 years

Win 98->XP 3 years

Vista->7 3 years

The NT releases were staggered differently. I know it was 4 years from NT4 to 2000, but XP was only 18 months after that. I forgot the 3.5->4 gap.

The Jedi Master

Well, to be fair this will come out about 3 years after 7. Remember that used to be the scale. Win XP halted everything and it got stagnant until Vista, 5 long years.

Win 95->98 3 years

Win 98->XP 3 years

Vista->7 3 years

The NT releases were staggered differently. I know it was 4 years from NT4 to 2000, but XP was only 18 months after that. I forgot the 3.5->4 gap.

The Jedi Master

Windows 2000 started shipping in the late Autumn of 1999 (December 15, to be precise) and Windows XP, in August of 2001. Vista didn't arrive on the scene until January of 2007.

I was involved in a good number of system deployments during that period, and from personal experience, I can say that it took about a year for Windows 2000 to be fully accepted by the business community (well into the Spring of 2001). And, I was still rolling out XP, as a new OS, more than two years after its release date (Well into 2004).

Vista never really caught on with enterprise clients, so one often encounters a gap between Win XP and Win 7 systems in business environments.

Edited by Fubar512

I can understand so called 'bloatware' concerns if the OS is laggy. But considering Win8 cold boots in 7 seconds on an Intel Atom processor, runs just as fast or faster than XP does, any claims about bloated code are premature at best.

Also, playing with the interface, you can do traditional or touchscreen. If you have the option for either, why not? For mobile devices, where storage space is at a premium and touch screens rule, maybe you only want the touch interface. But for PCs, where HD space is cheap and plentiful, having either option available is just fine.

FC

I tried out Win8 just a week or so ago and did not like the GUI at all. I won't be buying it that is for certain. By bloat I was talking about size of the install and not lag.