Sign in to follow this  
ValAstur

Grumman/Mitsubishi F-14EJ Hyō

During a joint maneuver including the USN, the JASDF and the JMSDF, the officers of the involved ships on japanese side had the chance to see the Tomcat in close action simulating dogfights with japanese fighters at the coast of Japan. The JASDF-pilots had the unique possibility to fly the Tomcat themselves against their american comrades in the F-15DJs. The evaluation of the maneuver showed, that the JASDF was more efficient using the F-14 than the F-15.

Thinking of improving the protection of their coasts and waters, Japan took into consideration buying four Nimitz-Class Aircraft-Carriers using the F-14 as main fighter on them. After a hard and long period of diplomatic negotiations, Japan was allowed to buy the carriers (Possession of Aircraft-Carriers was forbidden after WWII), but the next diplomatic crisis was caused by the names the japanese ministry of defense choose for the vessels: Akagi, Soryu, Kaga and Hiryu. Negotiations about the names almost led to the withdrawing of the selling of the carriers.

Only one carrier was purchased (from the four carriers planned) and named 'Varukirī' (Valkyrie). One Kokutai of the JMSDF was stationed on the Varukirī while the remaining three Kokutais were relocated to the JASDF with the ability of landing onboard the ship.

The 'Hyō' (Panther) entered service in 1997 in the 301st, 302nd and 305th Kokutai of the JASDF and the 81st Kokutai in the JMSDF.

The AIM-54-Technology was also part of the purchase. Mitsubishi started building the missile under the designation AAM-7 Hinotori (Phoenix).

81st Kokutai on patrol

img00001-1.jpg

A Hyō from the 301st awaiting permission for takeoff

img00002-1.jpg

The 302nd Kokutai uses a camo called "Nihon Ijisha" (Defender of Japan)

img00003-1.jpg

The 'Zero'-Camouflage of the 305th Kokutai

img00005-1.jpg

Edited by NazGhul

looks like those pics wont show up with me

oohh, that blue and white camo stands out

The 302nd Kokutai uses a camo called "Nihon Ijisha" (Defender of Japan)

Japan was allowed to buy the carriers (Possession of Aircraft-Carriers was forbidden after WWII), but the next diplomatic crisis was caused by the names the japanese ministry of defense choose for the vessels: Akagi, Soryu, Kaga and Hiryu. Negotiations about the names almost led to the withdrawing of the selling of the carriers.

Made me laught - well done ;-)

In reality I say give them a damn carrier and let them defend themselves from N.K. No need to 911 the White House when N.K. acts up. Just my thoughts on the Global War On Terror, and the Axis' Of Evil. They already have rotor wing carriers, give em AV-8Bs BAM.

I think the AIM-120 would work better than a re-made AIM-54. If your gonna do it do it right.

Edited by MAKO69