Sign in to follow this  
RAVEN

AU-1 Rudder Offset

I was doing a skin for the (CheckSix) AU-1, And in the process I noticed that the rudder sits to the left,(alot) I've checked all the data I could find (Books, Net) and I cant find a refrence to the rudder being mounted to the left, Is that normal or a Oop's?

Raven

screenie please? we're using it in KAW, and nobody's noticed or mentioned it (in fact, flys great in SF2 with the new FM)

Won't let me up load a screen shot!

ok got it ... all the Corsairs have offset vert fins. It's to counteract engine torque; very common on high HP WW2 aircraft (on both sides of the line)

in game shot from KAW

top view is from Detail & Scale vol 2 on the Corsair

it's supposed to be that way. Bpao really knew his stuff! The high level of details in his work is STILL amazing!

Edited by Wrench

If there's one thing any regular on this site soon learns, is that Wrench certainly knows his s**t when it comes to old warbirds :grin:

Mvc-025s.jpg

Thanks Wrench. I decided to scrap the skin though. Right plane ,Wrong production year model.

if one want to know how that can go wrong, read up on the flight charastics of the CS-199s -- AFTER they lost all the DB-60* series engine, and used the He-111 Jumos --- since the Daimler s were inverted V12s, they turned the 'right way' (ie: opposite) for the fin offset. The Jumo's turned INTO the offset, causing all kinds of torque-steer related problems (the fledgling IDF lost quite a few that way)

Wonder of the Buchon Ha-115 (?) as used in the movie Battle of Britan had the same issue, what with them using Merlins....