Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Earth to satellite: When will you hit -- and where

look out below...........................!!

Stuff deorbits all the time. It would be much better for end of life ops to execute a controlled re-entry into the ocean, but that is not always feasible.

As a point of reference - the Shuttle broke up over Texas and no one on the ground was hurt.

Unfortunately, this satellite was produced before the EoL control systems were made mandatory.

I wonder, why no one in the press thought of multiplying the odds of the satellite hitting someone by the total population of Earth, thus getting a ridiculous amount of expected casualties.

"If you do come across what you suspect is a satellite piece, NASA doesn't want you to pick it up. The space agency says there are no toxic chemicals present, but there could be sharp edges."

Wow!...did they get a consultant in to work that one out? :rofl:

Besides, don't know why people are worrying about being hit by a bus-sized satellite. You're far more likely to be hit by a satellite-sized bus.

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Catchers mitt is always useful for these kinds of things.

Not kidding either. When I was in 5 grade, Pelahatchie Missisippie (yes) I was shy, super quiet type, and we had this baseballgame@school (hardball) and I was in outfield, with mitt and all. Some enemy kidd popped a high long one, and I looked up, straight into the SF Sun (yes), I was blinded by glare, and I closed my eyes and held up my mitt open to the sky....and the ball fell into, and somehow stayed, in the mitt. I saved the game. Man, or Boy, was I popular for a few minutes heheee!! Pretty neat. You never know what may transpire.

Can NASA BE sued if someone did get hit or had their roof damaged from it after finding the pieces?

Not sued per se, but IIRC the USG is responisble for compensation for damages. There was some treaty signed years ago that spells that out.

Catchers mitt is always useful for these kinds of things.

Not kidding either. When I was in 5 grade, Pelahatchie Missisippie (yes) I was shy, super quiet type, and we had this baseballgame@school (hardball) and I was in outfield, with mitt and all. Some enemy kidd popped a high long one, and I looked up, straight into the SF Sun (yes), I was blinded by glare, and I closed my eyes and held up my mitt open to the sky....and the ball fell into, and somehow stayed, in the mitt. I saved the game. Man, or Boy, was I popular for a few minutes heheee!! Pretty neat. You never know what may transpire.

The force is strong with this one... :starwars:

If I find a satellite piece it's going on e-bay.

the buyer will show up in a Black Helicopter to pick it, and you, up!

Send us all a post-card from wherever you end up!

:rofl:

actually it looks like it all fell in the ocean.

Edited by Typhoid