Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

OT - Hot stuff.

I'm back after a spell with no PC.

On starting my PC a while back I got a message saying "CPU Fan Error Press F1 to continue". I pressed F1 and all went well. Started OFF and after a while I seemed to feel warmer than I should have been. Just as I thought that, the PC locked up and I ended up having to cut the power to get it to shut down. On re-starting I got the same message as before but opted to continue. I ran PC Wizard to check temps and the cpu was shown at 68 degrees :yikes:. Not only that but the cpu fan was conspicuous by its absence from the list.

I've only just now had time to open it up and have a look. I started it up with the sides off to watch the fans and the cpu fan did nothing. Turned it off, spun the fan by hand - it was a bit stiff at first - wiped some dust off and restarted. Still got the message but the fan was running but slowly. I started PC Wizard again to see the cpu fan present and showing only 250rpm. Core temps were at 32 degrees.

After turning it off and giving it a real good clean inside I've got cpu fan at 2089 rpm and core temps of 37 degrees after playing OFF.

I'm still getting the "CPU fan error" when starting though. I'm hoping that I don't have to replace the cooler. Not that it's difficult, just fiddly - it really means taking the MB out.

Has anyone of the gurus got any ideas on these events?

Just as a matter of precaution, If the fan was stiff, please consider to replace the cooler as soon as possible.

Hopefully that message will vanish after that. If not than something is wrong with the sensor.

In that case try to reset the BIOS.

For right CPU temp use Realtemp: http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Until you replace the cooler, keep looking at temp

What kind of CPU you have?

Edited by Von Paulus

I agree with VP on this Tranquillo. You are likely getting that CPU fan error message because the system is reading excessive resistance in the fan circuit. I'd replace the fan/cooler unit rather than risk frying your CPU.

Edited by RAF_Louvert

Thanks for agreeing twice (:yikes:)with me, Lou.

Edit: Oh, you edited your post.

Edited by Von Paulus

Despite the edit, it was my pleasure Sir.

Despite the edit, it was my pleasure Sir.

...hee hee hee...

Yes, it is a pain in the ass!...Removing the Mobo I'm afraid...but beats a fry up

Just what I thought. I'll order another cooler and TIM tomorrow and get that done asap. I've been monitoring temps and they've stayed stable.

Thanks for that link to Realtemp, VP - hadn't heard of that one.

My cpu is an AMD Phenom II 550 Black Edition. Haven't unlocked the other cores though so still dual core at the moment.

That's an AM3 socket, if I'm not wrong.

If you don't want to spend much money in a cooler you can try the ones from Artic Cooling.

They have a reasonable quality/price value.

http://www.arctic.ac...ooling/cpu.html

I have an Arctic Freezer Pro at the moment.

Just had a look at the Realtemp pages and calibration of said software looks a tad complicated for me.

I have an Arctic Freezer Pro at the moment.

Just had a look at the Realtemp pages and calibration of said software looks a tad complicated for me.

Just download it and run it. Forget about calibration.

No more Freezer pro.

Now you have freezer 7 pro. Not need anymore to remove the motherboard to mount or unmount. I've one in one of my machines. Not bad. At least is more silent than the stock ones

Edited by Von Paulus

Just download it and run it. Forget about calibration.

OK, VP. Thanks.

And LOU..........hope you fel better soon :grin:

WM, yes, a right, royal pain in the derry air. Virtually everything has to come out. Still it'll all be nice and clean inside again.

Von Paulus,

I am slightly confused, I have looked at realtemp as posted in your link, and the documentation states that it does not work on AMD processors - yet you have advised Tranquillo to use it to test his temps?

Does this mean that you have found it to work satisfactorily and give accurate temp readings on AMD CPU's?

Von Paulus,

I am slightly confused, I have looked at realtemp as posted in your link, and the documentation states that it does not work on AMD processors - yet you have advised Tranquillo to use it to test his temps?

Does this mean that you have found it to work satisfactorily and give accurate temp readings on AMD CPU's?

My mistake. I didn't know that it didn't work with AMD cpu's. I assumed that there was no such limitation.

Thanks for correcting me, Rugbyfan1972.

In this case, maybe Core temp will do it. And this works with AMD CPU's.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/supportlist.html

Sorry tranquilo.

My mistake. I didn't know that it didn't work with AMD cpu's. I assumed that there was no such limitation.

Thanks for correcting me, Rugbyfan1972.

In this case, maybe Core temp will do it. And this works with AMD CPU's.

http://www.alcpu.com...upportlist.html

Sorry tranquilo.

No worries, VP. Just discovered it didn't work but as it doesn't install it's easily got rid of. I'll try Core Temp tomorrow - I'm going to bed now.

I'm finally back in the air again. The Arctic Cooling heatsink that I have is no longer made and their alternative fits differently meaning the heatsink makes it difficult to get at the ram if needed. I was lucky enough to get hold of a second-hand heatsink and unclipped the fan unit and swapped them over. 2 minute job. :good: