Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Fs9 update question from Navychief.

Hi all.

Many thanks to all the replies to my post in the "Pub", by the way. For now, I drive about a 1/2 hour to be able to get on the net at the library in Murphy, NC. But until finances improve, 'tis all I can do!

Anyway, a friend of mine kindly downloaded the update to FS9 onto a cd, and gave it to me last night. Along with it, he printed out install/uninstall information on the update; plus further information on the update itself, and problems that might occur.

Well, true to form, I did not have a successful install. :sad:

The documentation I read stated that if there were any problems with either the EXE files, or the BGL files, that I would get a message on the screen, saying I wouuld have to install the original.

There were no such messages.

All that happened was the update seemed to go through the motions, and at the end, the message on my screen was something to the effect, "Update was not installed successfully".

To make things even more interesting, if I try to reinstall the update, I get a message that the update has ALREADY been installed! However, when I checked the version number, it still says 9.0, not 9.1. GRRRRRR!!!! :angry:

No idea what to do now. If I could get easier access to the net, perhaps I could get an answer, but am clueless.

I am hesitant to uninstall everything, as I have so many addons; some of them are payware, and would be a nightmare to track down all the files, and recover passwords to reinstall them all.

As is the case with most folks, I have a LOT of mods to the original install: i.e. aircraft, sounds, scenery, 3rd party addons, etc...

Does anyone out there have some solutions for me???? :help:

For now, I guess I will leave things untouched. I am hopeful that one of you can help me!

Thanks for now, shipmates.

Navy Chief

P.S. I will check back in a few days when I can.

retnavycpo@hotmail.com

Hmm, odd... I dunno about why it messed up. Are you sure it didn't install correctly? Can you still fly the sim with all of your stuff?

If nothing anyone else says helps you, I would say you have to reinstall it. Make sure you backup. If you know anything about how the addon files work, do what I've done: I've created a seperate backup file that I keep a copy of all of my addons in, as if they were installed. That way, if I need to reinstall anything, all I have to do is copy the backup file into my main FS2004 folder, and that automatically puts all the addon files in the right place, organized the way I want them. It makes it a lot easier to find stuff too.

Hi all.

Many thanks to all the replies to my post in the "Pub", by the way.  For now, I drive about a 1/2 hour to be able to get on the net at the library in Murphy, NC. But until finances improve, 'tis all I can do! 

Anyway, a friend of mine kindly downloaded the update to FS9 onto a cd, and gave it to me last night.  Along with it, he printed out install/uninstall information on the update; plus further information on the update itself, and problems that might occur.

Well, true to form, I did not have a successful install. :sad:

The documentation I read stated that if there were any problems with either the EXE files, or the BGL files, that I would get a message on the screen, saying I wouuld have to install the original.

There were no such messages.

All that happened was the update seemed to go through the motions, and at the end, the message on my screen was something to the effect, "Update was not installed successfully".

To make things even more interesting, if I try to reinstall the update, I get a message that the update has ALREADY been installed! However, when I checked the version number, it still says 9.0, not 9.1.  GRRRRRR!!!!  :angry:

No idea what to do now. If I could get easier access to the net, perhaps I could get an answer, but am clueless.

I am hesitant to uninstall everything, as I have so many addons; some of them are payware, and would be a nightmare to track down all the files, and recover passwords to reinstall them all.

As is the case with most folks, I have a LOT of mods to the original install: i.e. aircraft, sounds, scenery, 3rd party addons, etc...

Does anyone out there have some solutions for me???? :help:

For now, I guess I will leave things untouched.  I am hopeful that one of you can help me!

Thanks for now, shipmates.

Navy Chief

P.S.  I will check back in a few days when I can.

retnavycpo@hotmail.com

Hey chief, sorry to see your having problems with the update. I had one myself. Make sure you have the original EXE file, and not a nocd exe file. This seems to make a difference, at least on my system it did. Hope this helps, and hope you get everything squared away soon :biggrin:

Thanks, Boltz. I will try that. I know for a fact that the exe file I currently am using is the "no cd" file.

Thanks.

NC

Hey Boltz

What I did was do rename FS9's directory to "old", and then did a complete reinstall of the sim. I still have the directories with my addon aircraft, and plan to transfer them over.

I have noticed a problem though. I tried transferring my T-28 aircraft, but it will not load. It crashes FS9. Any idea what is going on with that? Has not happened with other aircraft I have transferred, but I have only transferred a few.

I am not flying all that much yet. Thanks to a fellow Bio member, I have internet. It is dialup, so I am not even attempting to fly online. Perhaps in a few months I will be able to afford DSL again, and will be back flying online. For now, though, I am happy as heck just to be back on the net.

NC