Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

a little technical info needed

ok, its 11 p.m. and a VERY large jet goes over my house at maybe 1000ft, really slow on a west by southwest heading, landing lights on, here is the info on the nearest runway which is directly across the lake;

ID: '10/28, Length: 3597 ft, Width: 60 ft, Runway Surface Type Condition: Asphalt or bituminous concrete, Good condition, Runway Weight Bearing Capacity: Single Wheel: 30,000 lbs, Edge Lights Intensity: Medium

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/airports/Lampson-Field-Airport-Lakeport-California.html#1O2#ixzz1Yf07wujw

how big a jet can be landed there? Im just wondering because this is very out of the ordinary.

You can land anything anywhere....ONCE :) I'll check into the numbers and see what I can find.

Thrust reversers let planes land where you might think they can't quite easily. As mentioned, though, taking back off is another issue entirely!

more info

LAKEPORT, CA

LAMPSON FIELD (1O2)

ADMT 1 10098 (FAA)

TAKE-OFF MINIMUMS: Rwy 10, std. with a min. climb of

400' per NM to 4500, do not exceed 210 Knots until

intercepting the ENI R-073 or 3200-3 for climb in visual

conditions. Rwy 28, NA-Rapidly rising terrain.

DEPARTURE PROCEDURE: Rwy 10, climbing left turn

to 6000 via heading 310° and ENI R-073 to ENI

VORTAC before proceeding on course, or for climb in

visual conditions: cross Lampson Field at or above 4400

MSL before proceeding on course.

NOTE: Rwy 10, vehicle on road 347' from DER, 7' right

of centerline, 15' AGL/1394' MSL. Trees beginning 280'

from DER, 201' left of centerline, up to 100' AGL/1479'

MSL. Trees beginning 494' from DER, 219' right of

centerline, up to 100' AGL/1479' MSL

airport info lists two multi-engine aircraft onsite, but no details,

could a DC-10 land and take off from there, cos thats what it looked like from underneath

What type of NavAids are there? He could be shooting approaches(ILS,ADF,TACAN,VOR,GPS,ETC).

He could also be shooting Touch and Goes. The runway should be long enough for that.

As for weight bearing: Multi wheel aircraft usually have a lighter "footprint" than single wheel aircraft.

If memory serves me right the big 727 had the heaviest "footprint" of all big aircraft.

What type of NavAids are there? He could be shooting approaches(ILS,ADF,TACAN,VOR,GPS,ETC).

He could also be shooting Touch and Goes. The runway should be long enough for that.

As for weight bearing: Multi wheel aircraft usually have a lighter "footprint" than single wheel aircraft.

If memory serves me right the big 727 had the heaviest "footprint" of all big aircraft.

Nearby radio navigation aids

VOR radial/distance VOR name Freq Var ENIr086/17.8

MENDOCINO VORTAC

16E STSr336/29.3

SANTA ROSA VOR/DME

16E MXWr220/37.2

MAXWELL VORTAC

18E

Ive called the lake county public works who owns/operates the field, was given a number for the "caretaker", I left a message with him, no callback yet,,,

That is what occured to me too, practice approaches for training.

I rather doubt that a "very large" aircraft would do full stops at an airport with that short of a runway.

A DC-10 won't land there.

A KC-10 might do low approaches there...but I highly doubt it at 11PM.. Honestly, we need more info...a large aircraft won't land there. The only thing I can think of would be a C-17 practicing assault approaches. A 60 foot wide runway won't accommodate anything much bigger than a twin engine prop job safely.

FC