Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

TV or Monitor advice again please

I am going to soon be purchasing a new display...and it's a minefield out there!

I want to upgrade my pathetic 19" tft (1280 X 1024)....but not MASSIVELY

I'm thinking 26" Monitor or a bit larger for a TV

This is where it gets confusing...do I go Monitor or HDMI TV??... Budget about £500 - £600

Useage?...well, 70% gaming..... 10% email/photoshop..and about 30% surfing. (not fussed about watching videos/TV etc)

Screen usually about 2ft from me.

If I understand correctly, the disadvantage on a TV is resolution and refresh?

Anybody link me to what they use?...or some help..pros and Cons etc would be very much appreciated.

(wish I could go into a TV shop, and tell them to stick OFF on to show me what it looks like!)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

My opinion is that a monitor is better than a TV.

Just got meself one of these from Amazon for 242 smackeroonies.

http://tinyurl.com/3mycz5u

(gone up a fiver already :yikes:)

If you want to spend 5 or 600 notes how about future proofing yourself and getting a 3D monitor

http://tinyurl.com/3vrs6n5

Edited by Davy TASB

(wish I could go into a TV shop, and tell them to stick OFF on to show me what it looks like!)

Do you have a laptop? Pot OFF on that and bring your joystick.

Edited by Hauksbee

My opinion is that a monitor is better than a TV.

Just got meself one of these from Amazon for 242 smackeroonies.

http://tinyurl.com/3mycz5u

(gone up a fiver already :yikes:)

If you want to spend 5 or 600 notes how about future proofing yourself and getting a 3D monitor

http://tinyurl.com/3vrs6n5

Actually they're both very nice!...what do you reckon on the one you bought m8?

Err to be honest........ I love it.

You have to do a little fiddling about with the brightness out of the box but when thats sorted it's excellent. (so far - touchwood!)

Err to be honest........ I love it.

You have to do a little fiddling about with the brightness out of the box but when thats sorted it's excellent. (so far - touchwood!)

nice one m8...the 3d Monitor is tempting I must admit!.... but I assume it's good in 2d as well?

(I know bugger all about this)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I'm the same as you in not knowing much about 3D.

My mates kid has a 3D tele and told me that you can only watch summat in 3D for so long before it does your head in and gives you headaches.

Might go 3D when it becomes the norm but not before.

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

:bye:

UKW,

Scan do a 27" monitor for under £270 (and certainly when i purchased a 22" monitor they did next day delivery),

http://www.scan.co.u...0-300-cd-m2-2ms

You will have to purchase a hdmi cable separately, but they also sell those.

OOO thats nice too///my Graphics card has HDMI too....is it correct, that it's worth paying the extra for a really good HDMI cable?

Hi, I'm in the same position as UK_Widowmaker in that I want to upgrade to a larger monitor as well.

Are the moniters suggested wall mountable? They probably are but Amazon wasn't that clear about it.

What is the sound quality like? With a bigger monitor I won't have room for seperate speakers.

As for using top quality hdmi cables, I'm sure that I saw a recent Gadget Show where they did a review on these and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth spending the money on top notch cables as they couldn't see any difference to cheap ones!

Hi, I'm in the same position as UK_Widowmaker in that I want to upgrade to a larger monitor as well.

Are the moniters suggested wall mountable? They probably are but Amazon wasn't that clear about it.

What is the sound quality like? With a bigger monitor I won't have room for seperate speakers.

As for using top quality hdmi cables, I'm sure that I saw a recent Gadget Show where they did a review on these and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth spending the money on top notch cables as they couldn't see any difference to cheap ones!

Thanks Mikeymead for the cables info :drinks:

WM, if you are considering the jump to a 27" monitor you really should go with 2560 x 1440 pixels, (not 1920 x 1080). The Dell Ultrasharp U2711 is one such offering, is quite highly rated, and should be in your price range, (albeit at the top).

WM, if you are considering the jump to a 27" monitor you really should go with 2560 x 1440 pixels, (not 1920 x 1080). The Dell Ultrasharp U2711 is one such offering, is quite highly rated, and should be in your price range, (albeit at the top).

I'm sold on that!... extra resolution is GOOD! :good:

Just my 2cents' (not sure of the UK conversion, probably a shade less than tuppence).

A year or so ago we bought a 37" 1080p TV for the bedroom and before we even got it loaded in the truck I reminded Frau von Baur that the computer room was just inside the door, whereas our bedroom was all the way at the other end of the house. She understood that this meant OFF was going to get a big-screen trial before the ferrets and the bedroom cat got to watch Animal Planet in HD. It was like a whole new game. I like to fly tight and I actually felt I was as close as I was to the other aircraft instead of being much closer than it looks. Also, in QC's I can see the opposing aircraft immediately rather than having to look for them. It must have to do with (at the risk of stating the obvious) the fact that when an object occupies a greater percentage of your view it's easier to see. IOW, while resolution is great for picking up details, size really does matter in the critical 'first-look' phase. I used the overscan feature of my video card to reduce the size by 15%, leaving me with a virtual 32" screen and I'm still able to pick up objects from a very long distance away. So my plan is to get a 32" 1080p LED (because along with being more energy-efficient and generating less heat they're lighter than LCD and therefore more safely wall-mounted) 120Hz TV. They can be found for as little as $400US, if you look or catch a sale. And the prices will likely start going down this holiday season when 3D starts taking the high-end consumer dough.

Another good thing about the 32" is that its height is almost identical to the width of a 19" 4:3 monitor. You already have one of those and with another you can create a three-monitor setup (my plan) for very little extra.

That would be lovely m8...though, I wouldnt be able to fit a three screen setup in my tiny little computer room.

But...I am jealous!!!!! :grin: