Can anyone explain the operation of thses guys to me? Can't seem to get a lock with them. Is it a distance thing? Should I be using boresite instead of search? Excuse my ignorance.

Tman,first did you used to Fly RB3D? as for the sparrow..it's a med. range missile..what settings are you using? and yes bore sight works well.look at the knowledge base and theres a artical on radars there.the aim7 is not a fire and forget weappon so when you employ it bore sight will work best as you must keep your target painted and bracketed,directly off your nose.also the aim 9 is a rear aspect IR weapon so head on launchs will result in a small percentage of hits.if you use the hard settings beware as you have no boxes on the hud and the radar screen will only have a large X in to tell you you're locked.this could be your wingman,trust me it happens :oops: ,the best thing is to just practice alot.any more questions I'll do my best to help.

Sorry, that weren't me. And I think I am flying in the hard setting. (Haven't flown for a bit cause I am trying to get answers to my CTD probs. Guess I'll turn down some settings(bummer) and try boresite. You didn't really say wether sweeping radar work with the Aim-7.

I've used radar in sweep mode for Sparrows quite a bit so I could pick and choose my targets better. Keep in mind, I have difficulty settings on normal. Accidentally toasted a squadmate once -doah.

When your radar is sweeping level off a bit and hit the default HOME key to cycle through targets. Then hit the default Insert key to make your radar lock-on to the target that is now in brackets on your radar. At normal difficulty you can then hit Ctrl-R to visually target your currently locked and get info on it. Ctrl-R doesn't always work for me, but that's most likely because it's out of sighting distance.

By then, you should have it all locked up just fine. Fire, and keep him in your HUD.

Search mode works great,but once I have a target painted then bracket him..I switch to boresite mode as I have to keep him off my nose anyways.

Guest Ranger332

boresight.jpg

this is what a lock looks like using a sparrow the yellow is the 7 target the red can be hit using the winder afterwards (note there is no sound denoting a lock just the yellow box

Ctrl-R to visually target I find F8 works better for me