Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Just back from WWI fly in at AF Museum

I just got back from the bi-annual WWI fly-in at the US Air Force Museum, and boy was it fun! The weather was forecast to be cloudy with a chance of rain, but Mother nature was kind and held off the rain. We even had breaks of blue sky at times and very little wind, so good flying weather.

Most of the flyable aircraft are 7/8 scale reproductions, but there was a full-scale N28 that flew, along with static displays of a full-scale Sopwith Baby and a rare single-wing Morane Saulnier AI. There were also a Fokker E II, several varieties of Nieuports, and so forth.

I also made some time to go in the museum itself and got lots of pictures--not sure how good they are, but I got 'em.

I'll try to post some of them tomorrow.

Cheers.

Sounds great HPW but yes its time for that emoticon :needpics:

Looking forward to some of those :)

*Sigh*

Another missed year! I have been meaning to go to the annual September "Dawn Patrol Fly In" for years!

And I only live two hours from Dayton!

Can't wait to retire...

Hey, I'm not retired and I made it! :wink:

Of course, I live in Dayton, so I really have no excuse.

Thinking about the show last night and I realized that it was actually a little disappointing, due to the lack of most German planes--no Albs. Also, very few British. Most seemed to be Nieport's of some sort. Come to think about it, but the last meeting seemed to have had a lot of German aircraft. Maybe they rotate the featured aircraft from year to year.

Okay, as soon as I can figure out how to upload these pictures from my camera, I will have some for you.

Patience, padawans!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

More...

gallery_45803_687_3653654.jpg

Sopwith Baby

gallery_45803_687_1100962.jpg

Sopwith Baby

gallery_45803_687_2746877.jpg

Unknown German Halberstadt?

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

The last one looks like a Nieuport 11 - but that craft didn't have an interruptor gear.

So I guess somebody made a WW1 cook-up, a chimera?

And the colouring is also much more phantasy than RL, IMHO.

Super pics HPW thanks. That baby seems to have very thick wings interesting.

Thanks for the pics HW! The Dawn Patrol Fly-in is a must for anyone interested in WWI aviation, (I haven't been for several years now myself and really need to get to the next one). While most of the Great War planes are experimentals of some sort, they are still none-the-less a blast to see. And the USAF Museum there at Dayton is well worth the trip all on it's own.

Those are great photos. I'd love to see such aircraft, but unfortunately nobody here has them.

Isn't that strange aircraft the Siemens-Schuckert D.I, the German copy of the Nieuport 17? They were so impressed with the N.17 in 1916 (and rightly so!) that some copies of the design were made. In the end, the wing structure was copied for the Alb D.III.

I was surprised by the thickness of the wings on most of the planes myself. Since these are 7/8 scale reproductions (no rotaries,etc.) I'm wondering if the wings are modern airfoils to give better and safer performance in the air?

Watching several of the aircraft in flight, I noticed that all of them climbed at very shallow angles--no more than 20 or 25 degrees or so. None of these planes could "hang on their prop." They could easily gain 100 feet or so, but any more than that and the craft began to slow down significantly, so the pilot had to level out and gain speed again before climbing again.

More pictures coming.

Isn't that strange aircraft the Siemens-Schuckert D.I, the German copy of the Nieuport 17?

Could be a copy of it, although the Siemens-Schuckert D.I had a pointy aerodynamic spinner.

Could be a copy of it, although the Siemens-Schuckert D.I had a pointy aerodynamic spinner.

Easy to remove, or not install at all.

N28

This is a full-scale reproduction, not 7/8 scale

gallery_45803_687_3326035.jpg

N28 and E III

gallery_45803_687_893112.jpg

Here is a Nieuport 12, although I'm not entirely confidant of the quality.

gallery_45803_687_501738.jpg

Here's a few of a non-flyable, but full-scale, Morane Saulnier AI.

gallery_45803_687_2940610.jpg

Wikipedia reports that these aircraft were fast, with a top speed of 140 mph. They flew for the following Escadrilles: 156, 158, and 161 in early to mid 1918 before they were replaced by the Spad XIII--supposedly because of wing failure problems. Which makes me wonder--The Fokker D VIII had the same problem. I wonder if some of these reports of wing failures were made by pilots who felt a little skiddish about flying a one-winged aircraft. I mean, two or three winged planes lost wings too. Perhaps the loss of a wing in many cases was the result of battle damage and overstress, rather than simple design deficiencies. Something to ponder, at least.

gallery_45803_687_1760231.jpg

Here are some from inside the museum

DH-4 (Sorry, first one is a little blurry)

gallery_45803_687_691809.jpg

gallery_45803_687_21631.jpg

Spad VII

gallery_45803_687_448220.jpg

Spad XIII

gallery_45803_687_27811.jpg

I noticed that the wings of the Spad XIII are higher than the wings on the Spad VII, giving it what appears to me to be a little better view forward from the cockpit than in the Spad VII. I agree that the forward view from the Spad VII is terrible, but the view in the Spad XIII seems to be improved.

Here are a few shots of some WWII airplanes.

Mosquito

gallery_45803_687_1080825.jpg

Focke Wulf 190 Dora

gallery_45803_687_386822.jpg

Me 262

gallery_45803_687_1473666.jpg

B-29 "Boxcar" The plane that dropped the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki

gallery_45803_687_81743.jpg

For Olham, an original of the German magazine "Flugsport," produced during the war, reporting on the exploits of various aces and aircraft. You can have one of these for the mere price of $60!

gallery_45803_687_2607851.jpg

Ah, Dayton has some great planes in the museum, Herr Prop-Wasche!

And even my favourite German piston-engine fighter of WW2 - the FW 190 D 9 is there.

Thank you for posting!

Herr Prop-Wasche , I got home about 02:30 this morning. It was about 2000 mile round trip for me and my friend Dallas, this was our third time at the event. 2007 was the best year for the weather. The displays, full scale airplanes, the re-enactors, old cars and many beautiful scale RC airplanes made the trip worth the drive. I flew my 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup and a 1/3 scale Fokker Eindecker. At events like this you meet and make friends from all across the country. The next event will be in 2014 commemorate the beginning of WW I. Dallas and I are planning to attend. Wonderful Event :clapping:

Rich

Edited by jwrich

The next event will be in 2014 commemorate the beginning of WW I.

2014 eh?

Alright...that should be enough lead time to plan on attending!

In fact all OFF'ers should attend. Remember to wear one red shoe as the secret OFF club symbol - that way you can be picked out of the crowd.

Yeah, an OFF convention sounds nice. I will look forward to meeting you, Jwrich and your friend Dallas, as well as you, Duke.

Maybe we should print out a t-shirt?

And, if we can agree on a decent hotel with a bar for the out of towners, we might even get Bullethead to attend! :drinks: