Sign in to follow this  
serverandenforcer

Quick question about tge KC-135

This past Thursday I flew on one from Texas to California on a flight back from Ft. Wolter. I pulled my laptop out to watch a movie on the flight and my laptop refused to go into Windows. It was working just fine before the flight. Yesterday I tried to figure out what the problem was and it seems that my entire hard drive was wiped clean. Would something inboard the KC-135 do that to my laptop?

I'm not sure there is any relation between what happened and the aircraft you were in...

on board every aircraft there are computers with hard drives

no reason yours will fail and others continue to work properly

server::

Would something inboard the KC-135 do that to my laptop?

Could be. I forgot how many gees hard drives can generally take. If the plane pulled over 1000g that could do it, ...*edit*-- > less if the drive was operating (heads not parked).

How are you feeling post-flight?

:grin:

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

SaE,

There wouldn't be anything on the KC-135 that would accidentally wipe your drive...otherwise just about every other magnetic device (including your credit cards) would have been wiped as well.

FC

Guess I had unfortunate luck then. It was working right before I got on and when I popped it out after 45 minutes into the flight, I couldn't get into Windows. Thought it was sort of a weird coincidink. Oh well... re-installed everything anyways, but lost about 2 years of stuff that I was working on.

One thing is that if it had been truly external, the chance is high that you wouldn't have been able to reload anything...the drive would've been unusable. Low-level data on a drive isn't touched by a format, but an external mag wipe hits it just the same. Without that data, the BIOS/EFI can't talk to the HD.

Ever think that the plane was jealous of all that technology? cool.gif