Sign in to follow this  
Von Paulus

OT: Finally arrived today

My baptism on WW2 was made with the documentary series "The World at War", with the comics "Battler Britton" and with BBC tv series "Colditz" when I was a kid.

Probably, my British mates here with my age, will remember it.

Today, after waiting for a couple of months of being in backorder, arrived in the post my copy of Colditz:

colditz.jpg

I know I'll be at bread and water for a week. I don't care. This is the best news I've got in the last weeks.

I couldn't resisted in also sharing it with the folks here.

Edited by Von Paulus

A fine series. It's been a long time since I saw it last, but I still remember well some of the characters and plots. :drinks:

Edit: BBC made some excellent series in the 1970s. Colditz, Secret Army, World at War, Wings etc.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Hey, von Paulus - the Nazi officers always look like from Frankenstein's laboratory.

Which in this case may be almost true.

When I opened the post, the phantastic PC-Game "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" immediately came to mind.

If you should not know it, you should definitely get it. Has a sheer endless amount of levels!

But take care - there was a later one, which was not so good.

Edited by Olham

As far as I remember, the Kommandant, was not Nazi. He was just a Wehrmacht officer, he was no Nazi. Hauptman Ullmanm, the same.

Only Major Horst Mohn was a Nazi.

This kind of series, with some historical accuracy, they don't see all Germans as Nazis.

I've played a long time ago. I've finished it.

I like the level with Nazis soldiers, but didn't enjoy much the paranormal part.

At the time I was much more interested in playing NOLF (No One Lives For Ever).

Colditz was based mostly on true stories, if I'm not mistaken. It didn't portray all Germans as evil incarnates.

The best films and series are those that try to be as realistic as possible in their depiction of characters. This means that even the most nasty of villains usually have more than one side to them. Life is not totally black and white, most of the time.

"A fine series. It's been a long time since I saw it last, but I still remember well some of the characters and plots."

As a primary school kid in the early 70s, and bearing the same name as one of the characters in Colditz, I used to have two particularly annoying little girls (well year below me) follow me round and yell "Colditz!!!" at me when they thought I wasn't looking. Whilst slightly cross about it at the time, and giving them a penny lecture about such disgraceful behaviour, I suppose I was vaguely flattered that anyone had made that connection. And, of course, having confirmed to them that I was nothing other than a humourless grumpy sod, they eventually gave up for pasture new.

Damn shame is, ten years later, they both turned out to be absolute babes, witty and university bound who by then had developed a well merited dislike of me for being such a prig. Gaaah!

My wife had this last Christmas, she also loved Tenko about the Japanese women's prison camp. She's also read a number of books about prisoners of war. Seems to have some sort of empathy with them, really.

We've been married thirty years next year you know ...

Err ...

Ahahah.

The worst thing that can happen to you, is she ask you to dress up as a POW.