Sign in to follow this  
jjddoo

MiG-17 Gunsight

Hello again to all,

I downloaded one of those MiG-17 cockpits for my WOV install, but the gunsight is a bit off. Please see the attached picture.

Is there any way to move it down a few notches? Also, does anyone know if the MiG-17 was fitted with a lead-computing gunsight or something? That isn't given as an option, so I was curious. And if so, how do you give it that ability?

Thanks!

http://combatace.com/topic/27540-mig-15bis-cockpit/ I understand the Ruskies grabbed some shot down US aircraft during the Korean War and copied the US star shaped lead computing gunsight. (Book A Mig-15 to Freedom Kum-sok ). Some earlier ones apparently also had the copied British round gunsight.

Cheers

The MiG-15 and MiG-17 had two gunsight symbols. One was used for dogfight (Kreiselvisier, sorry dont knwo the corrct english term, perhaps gyro targeting device) and the other was used for ground attacks. It was possible to show both symbols at the same time. The dogfight symbol was able to move, while the ground attack symbol was fix.

The story of the US star shaped gunsight in soviet planes is a nice cold war story, but it is wrong. In the MiG-15 and 17 gunsights they used the german technology from WW2 which they captured in 1945. Correct is, that the radar range finder of the Sabre was the basic for the soviet radar range finders which were used in the MiG-17F, MiG-19S and MiG-21F.

Okay,

So I just replaced my cockpits with Ordways beautiful ones that were uploaded by Wrench (thanks Ordway!) with the US-type gunsight. But the only options are still only caged and air to ground. Is there a way to add air to air?

I opened the cockpit file, and the first few lines were like this:

[CockpitData]

Directory=cockpit

HUDMode=CAGED,AG

RippleQuantity=1,2,3,6,12,18

RippleInterval=60,100,140

Obviously, HUDMode would be the gunsight. If I add AA, would that do the trick?

Thanks.

The MiG-15 and MiG-17 had two gunsight symbols. One was used for dogfight (Kreiselvisier, sorry dont knwo the corrct english term, perhaps gyro targeting device) and the other was used for ground attacks.

Michael, the term in English is lead computing.

To emulate the Fresco's ASP-4N Sneg (Snow) radar gunsight, add the following lines to the MiG-17A or F avionics.ini (you may have to create one):

[AvionicsData]

Name=ASP-4N Sneg

GunsightRangingOnly=FALSE

RangeUnit=Meters

TrackRange=2800.0

ScanBeamAngle=10.0

MinAltitude=1828.8

In MiG-17A or F cockpit.ini:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=50

GunsightName=XXX.tga

AGGunsightName=XXX.tga

LeadComputing=TRUE

MinLeadRange=213.36

MaxLeadRange=2743.2

DefaultLeadRange=300

MaxDepression=250

DefaultDepression=50

I don't know if all those "extra" parameters are present in SFP1 avionics code with the 2008 patch. They are present in SF2, however :grin:

Michael, the term in English is lead computing.

To emulate the Fresco's ASP-4N Sneg (Snow) radar gunsight, add the following lines to the MiG-17A or F avionics.ini (you may have to create one):

[AvionicsData]

Name=ASP-4N Sneg

GunsightRangingOnly=FALSE

RangeUnit=Meters

TrackRange=2800.0

ScanBeamAngle=10.0

MinAltitude=1828.8

In MiG-17A or F cockpit.ini:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=50

GunsightName=XXX.tga

AGGunsightName=XXX.tga

LeadComputing=TRUE

MinLeadRange=213.36

MaxLeadRange=2743.2

DefaultLeadRange=300

MaxDepression=250

DefaultDepression=50

I don't know if all those "extra" parameters are present in SFP1 avionics code with the 2008 patch. They are present in SF2, however :grin:

Sorry for getting back so late, but it worked wonderfully!

Thanks a lot!Salute.gif