Sign in to follow this  
Olham

OT: Germans & French: ARTE presents Lang's "Nibelungen"

On Monday, French-German TV channel ARTE will present both Fritz Lang's 1924 films "Nibelungen" and "Krimhilds Rache".

Unfortunately at the same time on ARD: the also extremely good "Das weisse Band".

It's terrible - weeks of repetitions, and then all the good stuff on one day!

Argghhh!!!

Edited by Olham

Do they have DVR over there? In the states we have DVR which allows one to record the program to our 'box' while watching another program.

Well, I have a video recorder. Old fashioned, but works.

No singing - silent movie.

Maybe they had a singing fat lady accompanying the orchestra that played when silent films were shown? :grin:

Anyway, some great silent films were made during the Weimar years. Two of my favourites are Murnau's Nosferatu and Lang's Metropolis.

Maybe they had a singing fat lady accompanying the orchestra that played when silent films were shown? :grin:

Anyway, some great silent films were made during the Weimar years. Two of my favourites are Murnau's Nosferatu and Lang's Metropolis.

btw. did you know that murnau was a fighterpilot in ww1, and it's said that the shadowing and gloomy look in nosferatu was actually his way to catch the overall hostile feeling of ww1, and additionally a kind of therapy for himself to cope with the horrors of ww1

Same for James Whale, who made "Frankenstein".

The horrible mask was a face he had seen in the war. An officer or soldier got caught in the barbed wire

a bit into no man's land, when he tried to get back to their trench. He was shot dead by the Germans.

But nobody dared to climb out of the trench to recover the corpse, and the guy was hanging in the wire,

and he seemed to stare at them. Day after day, night after night.

Whale said, the face became pale and then it began to decay. All that, even amplified by the light of

flares, was engraved into his mind and gave him nightmares.

He described that face to the makeup artist, who created one of the most famous film masks after that.

Deja vu - could it be, that we had almost the same discussion two years ago? From Murnau to Whale?

Well, I have a video recorder. Old fashioned, but works.

Do you have a Gramophone too? :lol:

btw. did you know that murnau was a fighterpilot in ww1, and it's said that the shadowing and gloomy look in nosferatu was actually his way to catch the overall hostile feeling of ww1, and additionally a kind of therapy for himself to cope with the horrors of ww1

No, I didn't know that. Fascinating. Thanks for enlightening me. :drinks:

Do you have a Gramophone too? :lol:

Nope, Sir! I have a British REGA PLANAR III High End record player! Yes, sir!

Nope, Sir! I have a British REGA PLANAR III High End record player! Yes, sir!

Brilliant! :lol:

Puts me in mind of this

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Deja vu - could it be, that we had almost the same discussion two years ago? From Murnau to Whale?

no, that's only an occasional error in the Matrix :grin: .

no, you are right. i think we had the very same conversation. would be fun to search for the old ones and compare it :no:

Didn't know that old sketch, Widow - must be from the mid-70s?

R.A. seems perfect for playing real a**holes.

Creaghorn, I believe to remember, that I posted a picture of Boris Karloff in the mask back then.

Creaghorn, I believe to remember, that I posted a picture of Boris Karloff in the mask back then.

boris karloff wore a mask? :blink:

:rofl:

:rofl: Oh dear! Poor Boris! Well, he actually had a great face for stuff like that.

:rofl: Oh dear! Poor Boris! Well, he actually had a great face for stuff like that.

just kidding. as long as i know he was a great actor in many other movies too. in the first frankenstein he suggested to put out a row of artificial tooth he had so his mouth falls in a bit more. you can see it very well in the second movie (the bride of frankenstein) that his face is a bit wider and more normal since he had to talk in the second one.

if i remember correctly from the "making of" of the movies, he once during shoot had to rush to his expecting wive into hospital, with his monstersuit and makeup. it obviously takes many hours to make them and similar long to remove it again.

Didn't know that old sketch, Widow - must be from the mid-70s?

R.A. seems perfect for playing real a**holes.

early 80's believe it or not :good:

I also recall having this same discussion quite some time back. Well, all except for the part about the gramophone, don't seem to remember that bit. I'll have to mimeograph a copy of that other thread and see how the two compare.