Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Voisin LAS in progress

I have the Voisin built and rigged. I ended up doing 4 loadouts with bombs ranging from twelve 75mm (4.5 kilo) up to four 115mm long (20.2 kilo). Two loadouts are racked on the sides, and two are racked underneath. Getting the bombs to fit between the landing gear cross wires took some imagination, but I think it's realistic.

I'm just starting the cockpit. I haven't done any skinning yet. And I'm still tweaking the gunner.

post-67404-0-23876700-1317481077.jpg

post-67404-0-29285400-1317481103.jpg

post-67404-0-59765400-1317481113.jpg

post-67404-0-20098400-1317481140.jpg

post-67404-0-53421300-1317481160.jpg

I've been waiting a long time for this one.

It looks very good!

You are a very fast worker!!

Pretty plane!

Wow,simply wow. love it. I have always loved the early to mid war era aircraft the best and the Voisin and Farman pushers have always fascinated me. thank you for bringing this to the game.it's kinda funny that some of the pushers soldiered on to the end of the war never getting much credit and almost always being outclassed but in alot of the cases getting the jobs done.

BTW, a gun for the pilot could be great (and the gunner firing backwards)

Wow,simply wow. love it. I have always loved the early to mid war era aircraft the best and the Voisin and Farman pushers have always fascinated me. thank you for bringing this to the game.it's kinda funny that some of the pushers soldiered on to the end of the war never getting much credit and almost always being outclassed but in alot of the cases getting the jobs done.

I like the earlier planes too. You're right about them being outclassed, but usually only as dogfighters. They could still deliver a bomb load, make aerial observations, and attack ground targets right until the end of the war, even if they couldn't out maneuver a later plane in a one-on-one dogfight. I find that if I set the date in the Mission Screen to 1915 or 1916, they were quite good airplanes.

BTW, a gun for the pilot could be great (and the gunner firing backwards)

I've been playing with the Voisin gunner a lot. His motion is limited by the fact that I can't animate his body and his feet end up sticking out the side of the fuselage. A gun on the upper wing is even more limited in its motion. A gun for the pilot won't move at all. After trying a lot of configurations, I think the tripod over the pilot is the best configuration with the best amount of motion. This plane won't be a good fighter, but it will be good for balloon busting and ground attacks.

Balloon hunting? I have a little advise. There is a little limitation in the game engine: balloons are classified as ground targets instead air targets, and gunners doesn't fire against ground targets (a TK's jet sims heritage). So I suggest to add a light bombload against balloons, so you can dive bomb them, or maybe Le Prieur rockets, I'm not sure if these options are historically accurate, but in WWI there were a hugue lot of fiel mods so...

Balloon hunting? I have a little advise. There is a little limitation in the game engine: balloons are classified as ground targets instead air targets, and gunners doesn't fire against ground targets (a TK's jet sims heritage). So I suggest to add a light bombload against balloons, so you can dive bomb them, or maybe Le Prieur rockets, I'm not sure if these options are historically accurate, but in WWI there were a hugue lot of fiel mods so...

I see what you mean, I tried a few balloon missions and the gunner never fired. The plane already has a light bomb load, so that might work against balloons.

Are you going to give us the little 'window' under the nacelle ahead of the rudder bar? Might be quite useful for aiming those bombs!

I think you've picked the right approach to the gunner, that seems to be how it was mostly done in real life. Another option might be also to give the pilot an additional 'invisible machine gun', with no muzzle flash, which the player could fire straight ahead, as an optional loadout item, that could be selected for balloon attack or ground attack missions. Not a great idea, bit of a kludge and would be a bit strange if the real observer decided to open up at the same time. Never heard of le Prieur rockets on a Voisin, tried them for the first time on a Nieu 17 last night and was duly amazed by the way they just snaked wildly all over the place like a firework display gone wrong!

Can anyone recommend a good downloadable campaign for 1915-16 planes, into which the N 10, N12 and now the Voisin could be hand-edited? With the Voisin's arrival, we will have a better-than-ever selection of planes to provide a really good Fokker Scourge (onset and ending of) campaign experience, Eagle of Lille, and that sort of thing.

just a sugestion but not just for this but for any future early aircraft make 2 versions. one with the machine gunner and machine gun and a version where the gunner is holding a rifle or pistol. Also if somone is really gung ho about baloon busting you can set the gunner up to be aiming dead ahead and remove the gun data via ini edits and add a forward fireing gun in the same location and fired by the pilot.Only able to aim it forward but better than nothing.

It would be relatively easy to make a data file where the gunner's gun is controlled by the pilot, but the gunner wouldn't move.

I just suggested balloon hunting because I thought the Voisin would do better against a stationary target, but it appears that isn't possible in First eagles. We might be better off accepting that the Voisin is a good bomber, but not a good fighter, and let it go.

For the window in the floor, I am still playing with the details of the Voisin. The First Eagles pilot has his feet right there, I had to put a bulge into the floor to keep his feet from sticking out the bottom of the plane. I would like to get a window in there, but I haven't fgured it out yet.

Stephen1918

Hello, Stephen! have you tried to raise a little the pilot position in the DATA.ini instead to build a bulge in the plane? Some 3rd party planes have the sme problem (Bristol Scouts, BE-2D...). I have solved the problem in these planes this way. No need to moddiffy the 3D model.

For example, for the BE-2D, we had:

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=wwiPilotNew1

SeatID=1

SetCockpitPosition=TRUE

Position=0.00,0.419,0.942

MinExtentPosition=-0.45,1.8,0.0

MaxExtentPosition= 0.45,1.0,1.2

CanopyNodeName=Seat_F

And I have now (look at the Position line):

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

SeatID=1

SetCockpitPosition=TRUE

Position=0.00,0.419,0.978

CanopyNodeName=Seat_F

I hope this can be of some help!

Hello, Stephen! have you tried to raise a little the pilot position in the DATA.ini instead to build a bulge in the plane? Some 3rd party planes have the sme problem (Bristol Scouts, BE-2D...). I have solved the problem in these planes this way. No need to moddiffy the 3D model.

For example, for the BE-2D, we had:

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

SeatID=1

SetCockpitPosition=TRUE

Position=0.00,0.419,0.942

CanopyNodeName=Seat_F

And I have now (look at the Position line):

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

SeatID=1

SetCockpitPosition=TRUE

Position=0.00,0.419,0.978

CanopyNodeName=Seat_F

I hope this can be of some help!

Hi Ojcar

is there a possibility of BE2c and BE2d models being revised to have the streamlined 'sump cowling' added under the engine? From what I can see, by 1916 it was rare to see a BE2 without this fitted. This would make both aircraft much more suitable for 1916-17. I have very little experience with 3d modelling programs but would be willing to try this myself, if possible, and release if given permission.

Hello, Lima! Well, I have no idea of 3D modelling, only a thing or two about data.ini tweaking. BEs are A-Team planes, so posting or moddiffying the LODS out of their site or without permission are out of question. They are nice people. You can go to their site and request for the changes, or maybe you can make the new cowling and add to the plane by the "Fake pilot" method (it's explained in the knoweledge base for SF1 series I think). Then, post it without posting the Dev A-Team lods and you'll be fine.

I already asked a while ago about modifications to the BEs over there and it was told to me the the needed mods would'nt be worth the work because it would mess up the mapping and because of lack of time. I'm pretty sure we will have to wait for a new model.

Hello, Stephen! have you tried to raise a little the pilot position in the DATA.ini instead to build a bulge in the plane? Some 3rd party planes have the sme problem (Bristol Scouts, BE-2D...). I have solved the problem in these planes this way. No need to moddiffy the 3D model...

...I hope this can be of some help!

Hello Ojcar.

Yeah, I've been playing with that. Moving the pilot too much interferes with the gunner and moving the gunner interferes with how much he can move. I tackled the gunner problem first because I thought having him move was more important. Now I'm playing with a combination of altering the pilot's position and also altering the 3D to get room for a window.

If nothing else, I can paint the window in the exterior view, but have a real window in the cockpit view. I'll keep working on it, but I'll use the paint if all else fails.

Another (a little radical) solution is to model a new pilot without legs. Same for problems with the gunner.