Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

SF2E: The Scandinavian Front: Operation Isbjörn

SF2E: The Scandinavian Front: Operation Isbjörn

SF2E: The Scandinavian Front

Operation Isbjörn

By Jonathan RL

In 1956, diplomatic talks about the Baltic Sea region between Finland, Sweden and the Soviet Union broke down. Angered and afraid of

NATOs influence in Scandinavia, The Soviet Union demands that Finland and Sweden joins the Warsaw pact to ensure the borders of the

Union. Both countries refuse. On October 1th, the Soviet Union deploys forces to force the countries into the pact.

Sweden, Finland and Norway set condition Isbjörn, activating an alliance against Soviet Agression and rallies to defend Scandinavia...

Installation Instructions:

Simply unzip it all into your mod folder. I would advise you to use a clean installation so there is as little risk as possible

for errors. This mod does not overwrite any original data and can be used alongside any Central Europe themed mod Campaign - in theory.

Important Notes:

SF2 Europe is a requirement. Preferably, use a fully merged installation. The Terrain itself is not very combatible with the other games, hence the requirement.

Aside from that, no other downloads required. The package contains all necessary aircraft, weapons and objects.

While the DLC 008 Hawker Hunter is not required, its strongly recommended for this campaign. If you want J28B Vampire Squadrons, you need to own SF2: Israel Expansion Pack 1.

Kindly report any bugs or issues to me by PM or in proper thread.

Credits:

J-29F Tunnan by Wrench / Phlerp & Co

A32A 3D model by Timmy.

Cammo Skin and Metal silver Skins by Timmy.

Dark Green Skin & national decals by Knug.

FM work by Lexx.

Euro001 Pilot by Diego.

Martin Baker Mk GW5 Ejection Seat by Ravenclaw_007.

Swedish RB Missile Set by Ravenclaw_007.

SF2 updates by NeverEnough.

M123 Photoflash Bomb from Bunyaps Weapons package - thanks to whoever made it.

Thanks to Wrench for Avionics changes and damage model.

Swedish Weapons by Ravenclaw 007 & Timmy

Cavalier Class Destroyer by Wrench

F-86K (Early Model) by Bunyap, Fubar512

F-86K RNAF skins by Paulopanz

Finnish Air Force Decals by Spinner

Avia S-99 by Monty CZ

Komar Missile boat by Pasko

Yak-25 by Pasko, SF2 and historical corrections adoptation by Paulopanz

SF2 Adoptation of Komar by WhiteBoySamurai.

Sweden terrain by gillg

I wish to thank all of above for making this possible, and for helping me out where possible. If I have forgotten anybody, its not intentional and will be corrected. Just drop a line in PM.

No luck on the download.

:(

Jono, nice work! as soon as possible i am DL'ing and flying for the Swedes. HELL YEAH!!!!!!

• Like 1

[#10845] We could not find the file specified

This message pop ups when trying to DL, still awesome work i know even that i havent tried this yetdrinks.gif

I was asked by Dave to try a Re-upload. Hopefully, that solves the problem.

Meanwhile, in case some of you are sitting like children on Christmas Eve, Im posting what backstory there is and hopefully you will be able to play it soon!

1955: The Warsaw Pact is formed.

5th August 1956:

The Soviet Union, concerned with Finlands motives for the Baltic Region requests diplomatic talks

on the future on the region.

20th August 1956:

The talks stall. The Soviet Union requests that Finland joins the Warsaw Pact as a show of good faith.

22th August 1956:

Finland refuses and starts secret talks with Sweden regarding a military Alliance.

24th August 1956:

Sweden is invited by both Finland and the Soviet Union to the negotiating table.

2th September:

A preliminary treaty between Finland and Sweden is signed, promising military assistance in case of agression

from the Soviet Union.

4th September:

The new Alliance approaches Norway, a NATO country.

8th September:

Norway dedicates at most three figther squadrons in defence of Scandinavia, under Finnish or Swedish Command

unless they properly enter the war on their own.

Finland begins an emergency buildup of their Air Force by reintroducing the BF-109G into their Air Force. A hundred

Veterans and flight school students are rushed into training on the aircraft.

15th September:

A squadron of Tu-16 Bombers are deployed at Kalingrad, and begin to fly provocative recon patrols over the Baltic.

Several are caught entering Swedish Waters.

20th September:

The talks stall. The Soviet Union once again requests Finland - and this time also Sweden - to join the

Warsaw Pact or Soviet will be "forced to take action". Both countries refuse.

24th September:

Moscow recalls their Helsinki and Stockholm Ambassadors for "Consulations. Finland mobizile their army.

27th September:

Sweden mobilize their Army, and deploys forward air units in Finland. Norway sends two squadrons, outside their NATO Membership.

The Soviet Union shoots down a Swedish Catalina Recon Plane over International Waters and capture the crew.

1th October:

Attacks are launched upon Finland and Sweden. Swedish and Finnish Forces deploy defensive position: Operation Isbjörn.

The War has begun. NATO declares their intention to deploy a Carrier group into the Baltic Sea.

14th October:

U.S.S Intrepid enters the Baltic with a task force of six destroyers and a crusier. They are transmitted recon info on

Soviet Fleet movements by the 4. Sjöstridsflottiljen, a Swedish Naval group in the region. In secret, they also deliver a

small force of Commandos, most of them Finns-in-Exile including the legendary Lauri Törni.

23th October:

The Soviet Union invades Hungary to chrush the revolt, claiming Swedes and Finns have invaded Hungary

to incite rebellion against the Soviet Union. Soviet Forces are massing on the West German Border.

NATO raises its alert level to DefCon 2

30th of October:

The U.S puts diplomatic pressure on Denmark to also commit airplanes to the fight for Finland. Denmark refuses to engage

unless attacked, citing the growing pressure in Central Europe as a reason not to deploy forces.

15th of November:

The Royal Navy sends a task force of three destroyers into the Baltic to join the Intrepid.

17th of November:

War between NATO and Warsaw Pact forces is narrowly averted as Soviet Forces redeploy futher away from the West German border.

NATO stands down to DEFCON 3.

Edited by JonathanRL

What a great backstory, JonathanRL! You even included "Larry Thorne"! And yes, this is almost like X-mas for me! :dance2:

Thank you very much, and cheers to the great Combat Ace modding community!!!:drinks:

boulder

...and new file submitted. Should work now, once approved.

Edited by JonathanRL

Fantastic story Jonatan, reads like a Tom Clancy book. The Catalina incident is also interesting, it happened in reality in 1952 but fits very well in your plot :good:

Houdoe,

Derk

Derk: I know it did. We do have history class here in Sweden, you know ;-). Thanks for the kind words regarding the story. Just hope you all can get to decide the ending soon :)

EDIT: Its up and works. Go get it, and don´t forget to tell me what to think, bug reports and so on ;-)

Edited by JonathanRL

...and new file submitted. Should work now, once approved.

The reason it didn't work the first time has to do with the way we store files. The system couldn't understand the accent marks in the file name "OPIsbjörn.rar". It wants to convert everything to English. I hacked your file into place with some database edits but until I get this fixed don't include accents in the files you upload (ie English only). Sorry for the confusion the file is approved and ready to go.

*laughts* Oh well. I keep removing the Ös whenever possible, but of course I never did that on my own storage folder. Ill change the name on it at once :)

I like it. Watching tanks fight in the middle of Helsinki was cool. Definitely going to try out the Bf 109 campaign.

Il-28 tail guns shot me down on my first mission though. Figures. :rolleyes:

Yeah, campaign is good but i cant pass the first mission in Finnish Air Force. Because whatever i do with my plane, russian tanks will still advance to Helsinki and campaign is over

Juhis: Is it a CAS mission? And do you complete the mission? As long as your mission is accomplished, Helsinki should be able to repel the attack regardless.

At any rate, I feel I need to play more connect the dots with the ground war.

A nice campaign, but two things:

The finnish 109s were G-6s, not G-8s.

G-8 was a recon variant.

Also are you sure the Flygwapnet allready had sidewinders in 1956?

Jonathan, yes close air support if i got it right. But when i destroy few tanks and i try to destroy more, russian forces destroy Finnish-Swedish-Norwegian tanks and advance to Helsinki and thats it. And that mission was close air support in Helsinki

Also are you sure the Flygwapnet allready had sidewinders in 1956?

The finnish 109s were G-6s, not G-8s.

I know they did not. They got them 1959 - I think. The Aircrafts loadout was supposed to be changed to prevent them from arming Rb 24. Seems I need to do a more proper job with that one.

Thanks for the correction about the Finnish Me-109s. Ill get a fix up in the next patch.

Also, the Ground War where the Tanks seem to go for Helsinki first may just have been fixed. Needs a little more testing on that.

Ok, waiting for that. BTW are you going to do those other campaigns too after this is final?

I will at least try to do the 60:ies one. But i think I will give it a rest for a little while, and finetune and polish this release first.

Ok, i´m looking forward for that, this campaign is also great, but i probably would like that "cold war" era campaign more, if Finns would have Mig-21 or some jets

Nice campaign but please make it for the other side too (Soviet side) mda.gif