Sign in to follow this  
Dave

The Horror, the Horror

:cry:

As a big fan of the Tornado ADV this is a sad thing to see. Those look some of the ADVs that Italy leased from the RAF.

I really wouldn't mind having a panel off of one of those and putting it on my wall though.

I'll take a cockpit thank you! :this:

at least it looks like they stripped em for parts first. they fed the Tomcats to a giant shredder to "keep iran from getting the parts." yeah like we were sellin those parts to the other Tomcat exportees. still a damn shame to see a warbird go like that. better to be made drones and go out swinging(pun intended)

I'm a little worried about the Ejection seat in front of the pile. :grin:

I hate this pictures. I visited an airbase in south italy and saw piles of stripped down and cut F-104S. always a bad sight

When I used to ride down the M1 or A1 in England in the 90's there was a similar sight of BAe Lightnings all cut up etc when I was home last year there was only 1 left and looking very battered... Your right its a sad sight to see a jet reduced to its spare parts especially when the Tornado had a useful second life as a SEAD Airframe which the RAF seriously lack as the EW kit on the Tornado F-3 was outstanding and in some ways better than what the Tornado ECR has... also down on the deck they where extremely fast, as I remembered being in a beaten one years ago going Mach 1.1 at 300ft down Falkland sound... :blink: Thuperthonic man...

Edited by Slartibartfast

When I used to ride down the M1 or A1 in England in the 90's there was a similar sight of BAe Lightnings all cut up etc when I was home last year there was only 1 left and looking very battered...

That one is still there, saw it this summer on the way back from Scotland IIRC somewhere near Grantham.....:good:

Hope that the Tornadoes dont go the way the Swedish Viggens went from Halmstadt: conversion into beer cans.......

Houdoe,

Derk

That one is still there, saw it this summer on the way back from Scotland IIRC somewhere near Grantham.....:good:

Hope that the Tornadoes dont go the way the Swedish Viggens went from Halmstadt: conversion into beer cans.......

Houdoe,

Derk

Thats the one Derk... saw it on my way back from Parents to Vienna but it used to have a bunch of mates...

Start::

Lightnings all cut up...these had a useful second life as a SEAD Airframe....

I didn't know that. How was this set up?

Start::

I didn't know that. How was this set up?

Sorry I was meaning the Tornado F-3 equipped to carry Alarm under the the fuselage... as its RWR/ECM Kit was first rate...

lol I see it. Thanks anyways. Got me a bit excited there you did.

PUAAAAAAAAAAAG

Damn, i ate a tuna sandwich before. Never been a fan of the Tornado, but this blasfemy made me puke all over the keyboard. Let alone thinking of the Tomcats.

It was sad even when we got our Phantom fighters canibalized to keep the recon Rhinos up, then used them as targets for strafing runs.At least the latter ones were used as gate guardians. We only got a couple of F-4Cs left in museums.

Is that a punctured ball at the base of the pile?

Aren´t those from the Italian AMI?

Sad sight. Both the F-14 and Tornado (and others) were cut down in their prime by short sighted politicians (and generals who play polotics instead of war).