Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

F-16AMs over Libya

I have a question I'm often asked, but I never really find an answer to it ... why choose the AIM-120 on external hardpoints in place of the AIM-9 (or other IR devices) ? Not only in an attack configuration as shown in the video but also in the case of C.A.P, reconnaissance or interception mission.

Anyone got a correct explanation ?

Thank you for the links. It seems that this weapons setting has already led to many questions from the fans ... and some asses kicked !

I have a question I'm often asked, but I never really find an answer to it ... why choose the AIM-120 on external hardpoints in place of the AIM-9 (or other IR devices) ? Not only in an attack configuration as shown in the video but also in the case of C.A.P, reconnaissance or interception mission.

Anyone got a correct explanation ?

Pretty sure its about reducing wing flutter, although I would rather have an AIM-120 over an AIM-9 for self defence any day.

See this site for answers http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-11355-view-next.html

Anything with John Wills name in it is pretty good - being one of the original F-16 engineers!!

Edited by MigBuster

That's also why the F-16 always has something there. Originally the wingtip launch rails were designed to be off when not needed. The flutter response was improved with them on, though, and IIRC they found it even better with the AIM-9s hanging there. The heavier 120s do an even better job, so you see 120s on the tips and 9s under the wings now, backwards from pretty much every other plane out there (that puts IRMs on the wingtips).

That includes the only other US fighters using wingtip rails, the Hornets. Both legacy and Super types just have 9s on the tips. I don't know if they can carry 120s there or not. My guess is there's no structural reason they can't, but they may not be wired for it and the change in flutter response on the different wings may be undesirable.

Think you might be right:

I've worked with F-18A/B/C/D/E aircraft for over 17 years. There has not been a flight clearance for the AIM-120 on the wingtip stations. The F-18A-D will only fly with a LAU-7 launcher on the wingtips which will only accomidate varients of the AIM-9 missile. The F-18E/F has a LAU-127 launcher loaded on the wingtips. It can carry both AIM-9 and AIM-120 missiles. However, there is only flight clearance for the AIM-9 currently. Nothing in the works at present for the AIM-120. I agree, 120 loaded on wingtip will put enormous stress on the wingfold transmissions as well as the mounting hardware for the launcher itself.

http://combatace.com/topic/48322-aim-120-on-hornet-wingtips/