Sign in to follow this  
DarthRevan

Question about converting planes from other sims

What is needed for converting planes from Flightsimulator to SF2 except the authors permission?

Is it easy for a nobe?

IF ( a VERY big IF), you get the source file (aka 'The MAX' file) for 3dsMAX, it can be done. BUT...

you loose all the animations and likely most of the mapping. I know it's been done, with a lot of work.

short answer, is, unfortunately, no.

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 1

IF ( a VERY big IF), you get the source file (aka 'The MAX' file) for 3dsMAX, it can be done. BUT...

you loose all the animations and likely most of the mapping.

That is totally wrong.

I know that FSX is able to use max files too.

If you get an max file it is the easiest way to implement into SF2.

Kevin, how will you loose mapping & animations from a max file? SF2 uses max files too?

You only will loose the animations or mapping,

when you convert a G-max model into 3d Smax. That´s a lot of work.

Too much as build up an model from scratch.

So best will always be to have a max model.

So it is too hard thats too bad have seen some great Swedish planes for Flightsimulator that I wanted to have in SF 2

maybe there's where I got confused .. Gmax vs 3dmax. Maybe something with the exporter? I seem to recall somebody saying "things changed unexpededly" when exporting.

short point .. if the max file is available, the rest follows!

So it is too hard thats too bad have seen some great Swedish planes for Flightsimulator that I wanted to have in SF 2

Which ones? and is the source file available?

Which ones? and is the source file available?

Don't know if the source file is available. for plane examples S31 Spitfire (Spitfire Mk XIX PR), A more accurate Viggen & Draken, TP 5 (Junkers JU 52/3M), Tp 52 (English Electric Canberra), Tp 79 (Douglas DC 3) etc.

Don't know if the source file is available. for plane examples S31 Spitfire (Spitfire Mk XIX PR), A more accurate Viggen & Draken, TP 5 (Junkers JU 52/3M), Tp 52 (English Electric Canberra), Tp 79 (Douglas DC 3) etc.

Do these planes have a damage model? Do they have the capability to carry weapons and etc?

Falcon

Edited by FalconC45

aren't the Canberras and Dakota STOCK aircraft? (well, the C-47 comes with SF2I Expansion 1)

aren't the Canberras and Dakota STOCK aircraft? (well, the C-47 comes with SF2I Expansion 1)

Canberra B.2 with expansion 2

Canberra B.2 with expansion 2

Yes, and you are the Cranberrie master!

..... but my records are for only 2 Canberra T.11

:drinks:

Yes, and you are the Cranberrie master!

..... but my records are for only 2 Canberra T.11

:drinks:

Yes they are stock but the canberras that is in SF2 series +expansions is the wrong version and the Dakota doesn't have swedish decals and I suck on write new decal inis. When I think of it I have never done a Decals.ini from scratch.

all stock

MS Flight Sim doesn't use animations the same as SF. So you'd have to do them all over. The mappings for textures should be good. You'll have to write a new flight data file since the MS data won't work in SF. Pretty much all the data files would have to be written from scratch.

It's doable with access and permissions to the right files, but don't think for a moment it will be quick or easy.

The swedish Canberra is easy to mod.

It´s basicly a B.2 with another nose + some antennas etc....

The swedish Canberra is easy to mod.

It´s basicly a B.2 with another nose + some antennas etc....

Easy for one with the skills to mod. Which I lack.

all stock

Now you have the insignias but what about the numbers on the fin and the squadron number.

As I said I lack most every skills to mod.

all you need are the decals... the positons are pre-plotted, and known

below, from KAW, 21st TCS "Kyushu Gypsies"

also, look in the downloads, you'll find a find a butt-load of Skytrain skins, for the stock C-47

edit: maybe some extractor work is is order ... look at the generic stock skins, as their decals inis have everything you need. ObjectData022.cat

Edited by Wrench

all you need are the decals... the positons are pre-plotted, and known

below, from KAW, 21st TCS "Kyushu Gypsies"

also, look in the downloads, you'll find a find a butt-load of Skytrain skins, for the stock C-47

edit: maybe some extractor work is is order ... look at the generic stock skins, as their decals inis have everything you need. ObjectData022.cat

Thats the problem I don't have decals for the numbers on the fin. Early Tp 79 had a 2 number code (72-78) and orange dayglow fields on the body and wings. Late version had a 3 number code (792-798)with dayglow on wings only so I must create the fincodes from scratch.

Anyone know how to create decals I have a limited knowledge of Photoshop CS 5

get GIMP; they say it's pretty easy to use, and its free.

look in the KB (both SF1/SF2) there's decal creation tutorials in there somewhere; alos in the FE forums.