Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Wings over Wairarapa - The Elegance of elderly Ladies

From this year's airshow "Wings over Wairarapa" - New Zealand must be paradise!

B.E.2c and B.E.2f

Sopwith Camel (and Fokker Dr.1)

Looking at the 2e, you can see why they called that version in particular the Quirk; it looks decidely 'quirky'. The 2c, on the other hand, is a nice old 'bus', with or without the skids and the sump cowling, 'Stability Jane' or not. i'm glad there's one in OFF and there's a better-armed one coming in P4, even if I won't be able to see ahead so well past the observer, who I imagine will spend hardly a minute sitting down, once he's got a proper gun to shoot at the beastly Huns.

"Beasztly Hunz? Vhere are beasztly Hunz? Vee do nott intend to do you any harm you vould nott do to us?!?"

I've been promising myself that I'll attend the 2012 air show. And I mean to do it. After all it's only a short hop across the Tasman Sea.

"Beasztly Hunz? Vhere are beasztly Hunz? Vee do nott intend to do you any harm you vould nott do to us?!?"

I love it when we all really 'get into character' here, especially if the characters in question are good old-fashioned 'period stereotypes'!

Having read a few recent books of late like Peter Hart's excellent 'Bloody April' and the extravagantly-titled but also rather good 'Fighter Heros of WW1' by Joshua Levine, it's quite a contrast reading Billy Bishop's 'Winged Warfare', the 1918 edition, whose jingo-istic tone (which to be fair, Bishop reportedly regretted, in later life) makes Biggles look the height of 'PC'. Not that I'm one of Bishop's detractors, but I can't help but prefer McCudden's 'Flying Fury' for a contemporary, but more humanistic, account. His tribute to Voss in particular I can't read without a lump coming to the throat, not least as it starts 'As long as I live...' which wasn't that long.

Anyway, loved the clips!

Edited by 33LIMA

The list of books to get is growing longer again. I'd like to read McCudden.

Will do, after Cecil Lewis.

His tribute to Voss in particular I can't read without a lump coming to the throat, not least as it starts 'As long as I live...' which wasn't that long.

Anyway, loved the clips!

..and when they all (but one older, uncleal-ish mechanic) toasted to "von Richthofen, the worthiest opponent"

.... and the extravagantly-titled but also rather good 'Fighter Heros of WW1' by Joshua Levine.

LIMA, you're right, that title put me off even looking at that book until I was enticed by seeing a cut price copy whilst on holiday (I'm nothing if not cheap!) I just presumed it would be another collection of potted accounts of of aces' careers. I think that title does it a disservice.

Olham, thanks for posting those clips. I've flown the BE2 in OFF for so long that it doesn't even look old fashioned to me any more!

Edited by Wayfarer