Tuba2

Windows 7 professional 64 compatability

New computer purchase is in the cards and I am wonderingwhat problems I would have with flight and other simulators using Windows 7 Pro64bit. I believe Over Flanders Fields, IL2-1946, Battleof Britain II and Flight Simulator X will work but I wonder about European AirWar and some older programs. Does the XPconfiguration setting really allow most of the older programs to work? My search on the topic has resulted in findingboth yes and no answers and I believe members here have more experience withthis question so can provide the most accurate responses.

Hi Tuba2 and welcome.

I can only confirm that I have both OFF and Il2 1946 both working with no problems on win7 64bit but needed to set both to run as administrator and I have both running in XP mode as well. I'm sure that others will be along shortly to advise you further.

Running stuff is not often as hard as INSTALLING the stuff. I had to muck about with IL-2 to get in installed but once past that it runs like a champ.

In general I've had better luck with Win 7 than I expected. Of the ones you listed I think you'll be fine. You may just have to bypass the IL2 "install menu" and to straight the the setup.exe. You should not have to muck with XP mode.

Once you have the pc, you'll need to download and install MS's Directx June 2010 Redistributable in order to have dx9.0c fully functional.

You'll find that the ability to run older games is influenced by both the gpu than the os. For example, Nvidia borked EAW when 8-bit support was dropped. With an Nvidia card, you'll need to run the 1.28E EAW zipper. I'm running IL-2 HistoMod 4.5, HSFX as separate installs with DBW-ModAct-UP3 as a combo direct, without compatibility and not as administrator. As you've found out, it's trial and error as to what will run or what workarounds are needed.

plug_nickel

ps: congrats on drawing a wining hand with your soon-to-be pc and welcome to the forums.

New computer purchase is in the cards and I am wonderingwhat problems I would have with flight and other simulators using Windows 7 Pro64bit. I believe Over Flanders Fields, IL2-1946, Battleof Britain II and Flight Simulator X will work but I wonder about European AirWar and some older programs. Does the XPconfiguration setting really allow most of the older programs to work? My search on the topic has resulted in findingboth yes and no answers and I believe members here have more experience withthis question so can provide the most accurate responses.

Thanks for all the replies. A new computer is on the waywith Win 7 Pro 64bit. Perhaps someday I will get good enough to dare to ventureon line so you all have another easy kill

. :drinks:

CFS2 also works on W7 64..with no tweaking

CFS2 also works on W7 64..with no tweaking

But unfortunately there is no way to run Trackir with CFS2. Soo my copy is a dust collector

I have just come back to OFF as I now have a new pooter - old one got struck by lightning. I am running W7 Ultimate 64-bit and have given up trying to get OFF to run. After installation (3 times!) it moans about some .dll file missing or corrupt. Running as an Admin doesn't help neither does running in XP mode.

So I have now installed XP on my D drive and dual boot it. BTW DO NOT INSTALL XP AFTER W7 AS IT SCREWS UP W7. So I had to reinstall W7 and all the software etc. Took ages.

However, OFF works fine on XP.

I don't mind the extra effort as I was going to install XP anyway as I have other programs that won't work in W7, especially drivers for old printers are not available.

So, having cleared all my dead Be2c and Fe2b pilots out I am ready to start again :good:

Jim you need to install DirectX9 full download (not the little web installer but the full downloaded file) on Windows 7. DX9 compatibility in Win7 is lacking a few dlls.

OFF works fine on Win7 64 bit and 32 (the most of dev team have Win7 64 anyway so if it didn't we'd know ;) plus many users of OFF using it fine).

It's in the FAQ in places discussing Windows 7, but:

"In Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) you may find the need to install DirectX 9 too. Some other games and programs require this too, even though DX11 is meant to be DX9 compatible they still require DX9 installed. It can co-exist along side DX11 no problem. "

Pol - where should viewUI.xml live on a W7 machine? having finally bought a new PC (for work, natch), OFF's on it but I'm not sure where the working copy of the file should live.

Cheers,

Si

Hi Mighty,

Take a look in C:Users/"Your Username"/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/CFS1OverFlandersFields/

It should be in there...

Cheers,

Parky

Hi all! (waves)

I've recently re-installed OFF and HiTR thru Minipatch 1.47b or whatever it is, and I do not have to run in XP mode, administrator mode, or an other funny settings. I just installed and it ran, in stunning beauty I might add. Same with CFS3 ETO. Fortunately with the horsepower of this ring (see my siggie), I just max the sliders and go, but I don't think that has anything to do with running in compatibility modes, admin mode, etc. However, my user account is an admin account, so YMMV... It seems to me that running in XP mode, or worse, an XP virtual machine, would just be more frame rate-stealing overhead, so I hope no one has to go that route.

As well, I don't fly on-line (yet, as the other guy pointed out, no use being a sitting duck, or a human drone!)

I'm wondering why the varied experiences? I feel kinda lucky!

Best, & more props to the developers,

Tom

err. I thought I had a siggie with specs. Anyway it's this:

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.2 GHz / EVGA GTX580 OC'd / 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor

FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5

Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/ CFS3 OFF HiTR

Edited by HumanDrone

Great Tom glad you are enjoying OFF to the max ;)

Thank you sir! Sometimes I just let that opening video of yours play through, it beats anything I've ever seen in this genre. Wouldn't mind a full HD version now that I have my new rig! :grin:

But I am wondering why our friends here are having issues with Win64 compatibility. Would, say, different controls software (i.e old joystick) cause this? As I said, I have no issue with either OFF or CFG3 ETO, or even stock CFS3. Install and go, no problems, no "Run as administrator" or "Run in XP_ compatibility mode", and certainly not in the XP virtual machine - I had to use that for some old stuff at work for a while... what a pain!

So for me it's a matter of learning how to manage my mixture and keep my carb full and somehow still manage to watch my enemy, my six, and did I mention how nice it is with TrackIR in the SPAD XIII to just lean your head to one side to line up the site...? The more i get into it, the more I appreciate what an achievement this is, and hat the real avaitors had to deal with. I'm surprised the planes could leave the ground carrying their massive brass...oh, wait, this is a family site...

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this new phase everyone is talking about.

Best,

Tom

Jim you need to install DirectX9 full download (not the little web installer but the full downloaded file) on Windows 7. DX9 compatibility in Win7 is lacking a few dlls.

OFF works fine on Win7 64 bit and 32 (the most of dev team have Win7 64 anyway so if it didn't we'd know ;) plus many users of OFF using it fine).

It's in the FAQ in places discussing Windows 7, but:

"In Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) you may find the need to install DirectX 9 too. Some other games and programs require this too, even though DX11 is meant to be DX9 compatible they still require DX9 installed. It can co-exist along side DX11 no problem. "

Done that and it still doesn't work

Done that and it still doesn't work

wmp.dll is Windoze Media Player. I got rid of that because I hate Bill Gates and everyone who sails in him :clapping:

ok so I downloaded it and put it in the System32 directory with no change to the error

So I put it in the OBD directory and I get .... wait for it ..... "Unexplained error" (which is why I hate Bill Gates and his merry men in the first place :this:

So now what? :heat:

Re-installed Windoze Media Player and now OFF gives a fatal error and suggests I reinstall again again again again again adiarnrafeeaggainagainrrraasgggaaaiiinnnn. ,,,,,,,,

Re-installed Windoze Media Player and now OFF gives a fatal error and suggests I reinstall again again again again again adiarnrafeeaggainagainrrraasgggaaaiiinnnn. ,,,,,,,,

And now it all works and I am listening to that magnificent entry music.

Maybe prospective users should be warned that Windoze Media Player is essential to run OFF.

So now I am off to install all the patches and the Hat in the Ring extension and then I will be awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :good:

Glad to hear it, Jim! & yessir, that opening music/video is quite magnificent.

Like you, I have this love/hate thing with Micro$oft Windoze, but for me it's the only game in town, so I try not to fiddle with it much. So you're saying that it appears that had you installed Bill's media player in the first place, you may have avoided all this? Tough lesson!

Happy flying & Happy Easter!

Tom

Glad to hear it, Jim! & yessir, that opening music/video is quite magnificent.

Like you, I have this love/hate thing with Micro$oft Windoze, but for me it's the only game in town, so I try not to fiddle with it much. So you're saying that it appears that had you installed Bill's media player in the first place, you may have avoided all this? Tough lesson!

Happy flying & Happy Easter!

Tom

I tend to uninstall M$ stuff that comes with Windoze like Internet Exploder. I uninstalled Windoze Media Player as I use other stuff like AVS and Nero. But OFF needs it. I'll just make sure that that is the only place it is used. :good: