Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Game & Editor questions / observations

1. In the editor is there a way when placing an aircraft that a waypoint pattern wouldn't already be assigned to it. It is a rather useless task having to delete / move around WP spots. It would be much easier just to create your own from the start after placing your plane.

2. Is there any way to keep track of how friendly AI planes (not in your flight) have fared at the end of a mission. Say, I'm a flight of F-14 providing air superiority to a larger bombing mission. Is there any way to see how many A-6s, EAB6s, F-4s returned to base at the end of the mission? If not, this would be a nice feature.

3. Is it possible to datalink to a E-2 type plane? To get more situational awareness? I know hiting Tab-7 provides you with someswhat the same thinig (but it often isn't as timely as I would hope to create)....

4. The target zone area is also somewhat cumbersome.....It would be much nicer to be able to simply point and click (expand / decrese size) of a target zone for a given AI aircraft. To have to do it via assoicated with a map name I don't find as seamless in creating new missions...

1. In the editor is there a way when placing an aircraft that a waypoint pattern wouldn't already be assigned to it. It is a rather useless task having to delete / move around WP spots. It would be much easier just to create your own from the start after placing your plane.

2. Is there any way to keep track of how friendly AI planes (not in your flight) have fared at the end of a mission. Say, I'm a flight of F-14 providing air superiority to a larger bombing mission. Is there any way to see how many A-6s, EAB6s, F-4s returned to base at the end of the mission? If not, this would be a nice feature.

3. Is it possible to datalink to a E-2 type plane? To get more situational awareness? I know hiting Tab-7 provides you with someswhat the same thinig (but it often isn't as timely as I would hope to create)....

4. The target zone area is also somewhat cumbersome.....It would be much nicer to be able to simply point and click (expand / decrese size) of a target zone for a given AI aircraft. To have to do it via assoicated with a map name I don't find as seamless in creating new missions...

1. Not sure. I don't think so, though...

2. As mentioned before (at SHQ), nope.

3. Remember; 50's, 60's, 70's, and early very 80's are what the game is design for and does best. So, no, no data linking is possible. It's just you and Red Crown.

4. Based on the way the game engine works and the way the targets.ini file is set up for the terrain, that's really the only way to do it. But, yeah, it does require you to have some knowledge of where target areas are in relation to the map. I'm with you that I usually have no idea where some of the target areas listed acutally are.

What is a good use (distance within SF2) to keep aircraft that are doing jamming missions. Should they be kept right within the Strike group....or can they be flown somewhat further away from the going in strike group but still be effective. Say and EA-6B for example...

Also, it would be very nice in an editor upgrade to be able to single at a specific target. Say an SA-2 SAM site for a AI friendly plane to hit (as an objective). Not simply air defense, but if you wanted to assign a particular SAM site to be taken out to friendly units....again as an objective for that unit to be successful.

With regards to question 3, any targets picked up by allied aircraft (including any AWACS addons, and I think SAM radars too) will be reported to you by Red Crown and show up on the overhead map screen. It's not all that realistic, especially for older aircraft, but it's functional.

Datalinks work for ground objects (i.e. SAM networks), and there seems to be a placeholder in the game files for aircraft as well, so let's hope TK does something with it in the future.

What is a good use (distance within SF2) to keep aircraft that are doing jamming missions. Should they be kept right within the Strike group....or can they be flown somewhat further away from the going in strike group but still be effective. Say and EA-6B for example...

I don't think jamming is modeled that way in this game. I believe only the aircraft carrying the jammer is affected. So in your example, the EA-6B would be protected by the jammer, but it won't hamper the enemy from locking up or tracking any other aircraft in the vicinity (even in the same flight).

Also, it would be very nice in an editor upgrade to be able to single at a specific target. Say an SA-2 SAM site for a AI friendly plane to hit (as an objective). Not simply air defense, but if you wanted to assign a particular SAM site to be taken out to friendly units....again as an objective for that unit to be successful.

If a specific SAM launcher was placed in the targets.ini file for the terrain, I think it should be selectabel as a target for strike missions. However, the default placement of SAMs in terrains using type=SAM and type=SAM_RADAR result in them not being viable targets for a Strike Mission.

You might be able to place the SAM launcher or radar using the mission editor and then assign it as the primary target for CAS or Armed Recon, but I can't remember for sure if that works or not...

Edited by malibu43