Sign in to follow this  
meade95

Up close view for Radar / Track While Scan?

This maybe a dumb question.....but is there a way to get a close up view of your Radar (screen size view). It is sometimes hard to read. In JF-18 you can close right up on the radar. But I can't seem to do that when flying (mainly flying the F-14) but I've flown stock F-4s as well...and can't seem to get a close up view on my radar.

Scroll in on cockpit view with the mouse wheel. Thats all I got.

Yeah, I wanna say stock it was some of the F buttons that gave you regular, wide angle, and in-close views. I have mine set on the joystick now for ease in a fight. When i need to zoom on my Tomcat radar I just hit the in-close view button then look down at it with the mouse.

the other thing that you might try is, if you don't mind sacrificing your regular view, look at your radar and zoom in using the mouse scroll that Mako suggested, then leave it there. Click the button that takes you to wide angle view and zoom in a little and you have your regular view picture using the wide view. You can go back to wide view by just hitting the wide view button again. Now when you hit select back to regular view it should have left the picture where you last left it, zoomed in on your radar.

Try it out, I know for a fact that this doesn't work for in-close view because I use this method on landing approaches. I'll leave my regular looking at the runway zoomed in a little and click back and forth between wide view and my regular view. When you try this method using in-close view it kind of stays in the vicinity of the windscreen instead of where you left it.

~Rob

I think the issue with the MF F-14 is that the radar isn't visible from the cockpit, so you can't zoom in on it. When you zoom in, the radar in the upper right corner doesn't get bigger.

You can extract HUDDATA.ini from flightdata.cat using the .cat extractor. If you look through that file, there is an entry for the size of the on-screen radar. Editing that file to remove the radar by changing the width and height to 0.0 is a well known trick that's been around for a long time (since the radar screen looks kind of arcadey). I've never tried making it bigger, but you could give it a shot. When you're done the modified file goes into the Flight folder of your mod directory.

Of course, if you do this, it will be big all the time.

For the F-4's and other aircraft, you just need to zoom in using the mouse wheel or TrackIR.

Edited by malibu43