Sign in to follow this  
X RAY

Battlefield 3

I'm playing BF-3 campaign at the moment.

Totally taken into this game,finally dreams come true and playing a movie is possible.

I never played something like this in my gaming career!

This game,or it's F/A 18F mission is the mother of all the eyecandy!!!

Is really the game of the year!!!!

And i really don't know if MW-3 will be better,I've got some serious doubt.

I can easily play it on Ultra settings,nvidia and EA worked closer to make it possible,to be honest the game is made to be played in High settings by the most parts of PC's,but if you have a 19" screen like me and play at 1280-1024 rez you can easily switch to Ultra.

Ultra settings are desigened basically to multi-GPU solutions (if you have very big screens)but for a 19" i repeat,works as a charm!

The rest of my new rig was made upon 2 weeks ago,to make it possible,and to play games like Il-2 CoD all maxed out,and the prove is passed!!!!

My specs:

Asus P-8H 67 Mobo

8GB DDR-3 VRam

Enermax Uber Chakra server case

Enermax Pro-80+ PSU

A BlueRay Disc Driver/Burner

1 TB Seagate HDD Win-XP

1 TB WD HDD Green Win-7 64

Intel I-7 2600 K 3.4-3.8 GhZ Quad Core

Nvidia GTX-580 Direct CU-2 GPU (that occupies 3 slots of the mobo)

But the game is tailor made for the GTX-560 so if you got it you can go full afterburner!!!!

Have a nice game!!!!!

I have it too and running it full out without a hiccup, Its a really good game too. Lots of fun. Looking forward to MW3 too.

Loving it, but stuck to the Multiplayer.

The Mortar is amazingly alot of fun. You have to be a crack shot with it, and lucky too :P

I am playing the single player too and its one of the best I have played in awhile.

Totally was not going to get this game, as I have no time for it. But the trailers and your thoughts on it are making me start to change my mind.

So how many minutes is the SP campaign? Under 200?

Tbf, you dont buy Battlefield 3 for the SP. You get it for the awesome MP :)

Campaing finished!

Like a movie,once started you can't stop playing!!!

One of the best campaigns ever!!!

I'm looking forward to this too, but I dare say my rig is a bit too long in the tooth to fully appreciate it. :sad: On the other hand, MW3 seems to just be an update in a similar fashion to EA's NBA Live 2009, NBA Live 2010, NBA 2011 etc.

I also love the that the Superbug's pilot is named Jennifer Hawkins. I'm hoping it's the very same... :biggrin:

NewsShoes_JenHawkins_Aug17.jpg

Well, sorry to be the outcast here...same old same old

Problem I have is that they now go for the Multiplayer aspect and that means they don't have to work on the physics of the AI too much... and I agree with Widowmaker on this same old same old but that seems to be the same across the entire entertainments business...

I purchased Rage when it came out and it was all done in 12 hours when I remember games that took days weeks even to complete... and the AI is not to bad but all it does is send more and more at you to overwhelm you... hey ho nice graphics though... :drinks:

Exactly Slarti...Lazy developers (and EA are the worst)...churn out the same old stuff, year after year... concentrate so much on eye candy, that they lose track of what a fully rounded game should be!

If Bethesda had done Battlefield 3....I would have sold my soul to the devil for it!...but EA?...nah

They have never made a game to come even close to their original MOHAA (for which they should be congratulated, as it was groundbreaking stuff however)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

If Bethesda had done Battlefield 3....I would have sold my soul to the devil for it!

After three dozen mods had made the game balanced, varied and interesting :grin:

EA is not a developer. They are a publisher. Please know the difference. And are you sure you do not confuse them with Activision? After all, they release the Call of Duty franchise, who for the past four games have been pretty much the same thing.

The developer behind Battlefield is Swedish "DICE". I also do not see how people can claim its the same stuff every time nor that it is just a pretty package. Battlefield 3 is a very solid game. Yes, the Single Player is mostly looks and a run of the mill story, but the multiplayer - and that is what I bought it for - is awesome with tactics implemented, calling for mortar and air strikes where the assets are controlled by other players, firing a few semi auto rounds to supress the enemy...

awesome with tactics implemented, calling for mortar and air strikes where the assets are controlled by other players, firing a few semi auto rounds to supress the enemy...

Anything new since BF2?

I am a old BF Veteran and here are the major changes:

- Commander position is removed, and the order system mostly scrapped. The latter is my least favorite change. I dont care if nobody used it properly, I did and I liked it.

- Jets have been nerfed. All abilities for vehicles have to be unlocked. This is far less painful then the unlocks for the infantry classes. Jets in particular suffer until players have reached 400 points (about 2 enemy aircrafts shot down) and they can unlock flares. Also, Engineers can choose to carry Stinger / Igla missiles, even futher making the air a unhealthy place to be unless you know what you are doing.

- The artillery system is no longer bound to automatic drop upon choice of location. Instead, the support class can unlock a mortar, that is placed down and have limited range whereupon he chooses on the minimap where the round will hit. During this time, the shooter is vulnerable and the mortar have limited range. Futhermore, without spotting, the mortarman does not know where to drop the rounds.

- All weapons suffer from bullet drop.

- All players can supress and be supressed. Points are awarded for this.

- The housing, terrain and more are fully destructable (even more so then Bad Company 2). Sniper hiding in a house? Pick up the grenade launcher and blow the entire section of the house to smithereens.

- Weapons have unlockable features and can be customized at will.

- Classes have more variation. Just the support class fills the role of Machinegunner, Mortarman and Heavy Spec Ops for me - all with designated loadouts. Too bad the loadouts cannot be saved...

This is what I can think of on the top of my head.

The FPS concept is pretty much the same all around...from MOHAA to MW2 to BF2BC2, you are still doing the same thing. Its the environment that makes a difference. UK said that its more of the same ole same ole. This is true, but how much can you take it further than being the first person in a shooter game? You can't really, you can add better weapons, more perks, extra abilities, and the ability to customize. Thats pretty much it.The concept is exactly the same. I am enjoying BF3, I liked the MOH that came out last year too, awesome single player. Companies all though I do not agree with this are banking on MP. So they cut the SP aspect down a lot. I too miss the days of a shooter taking weeks to finish. However I play a lot of MP too. I already pre-ordered MW3 and will play that too. I just want to have fun.

You make some good points Dave...my main dissapointment is SP..

MP is just not my scene...therefore, the game is flawed (imho) and not worth the money

The FPS concept is pretty much the same all around...from MOHAA to MW2 to BF2BC2, you are still doing the same thing. Its the environment that makes a difference. UK said that its more of the same ole same ole. This is true, but how much can you take it further than being the first person in a shooter game? You can't really, you can add better weapons, more perks, extra abilities, and the ability to customize. Thats pretty much it.The concept is exactly the same. I am enjoying BF3, I liked the MOH that came out last year too, awesome single player. Companies all though I do not agree with this are banking on MP. So they cut the SP aspect down a lot. I too miss the days of a shooter taking weeks to finish. However I play a lot of MP too. I already pre-ordered MW3 and will play that too. I just want to have fun.

Quote all!

This is true, but how much can you take it further than being the first person in a shooter game?

SP-wise? Take the enemy AI at least to F.E.A.R. (1) level, that is give them the ability to logically move from cover to cover, avoid obvious deathtraps, and navigate the level to corner the player and attack from different directions without scripting. Learn level design and make something rivaling at least Wolfenstein in "explorability" instead of colon-shaped "cinematic" levels, which are closer to rail shooters. Use 3rd dimension more than putting enemies on balconies. Stop the multiplatform crap and design PC gameplay to be challenging with mouse aiming instead of gamepad joysticks, which make it hard to hit a barn door. Give back the movement speed and lose the eternal slowmo.

It's all been done before, but it's simply a better investment to railroad the gameplay and rely on pumping money in the moving pictures which don't need a creative designer spark.

Been enjoying it myself. The thing is, Battlefield at one time was ONLY multiplayer (most folks here remember BF1942, right?). The SP campaign is a bit linear and I'm not much a fan of that, but I still love the BF series especially for MP. The fact that its point-based (both map and "victory" points) forces you to work as a team to take the points, and centralizes the combat, rather than the COD series which is more lone-wolf kill everyone. Less tactics needed, less team play needed to win, so I'm not as much a fan as I used to be. I'm pretty happy with BF3 (sans install and the strange web-browser launch system, but those are more afterthoughts than anything), it looks gorgeous and still has that great Battlefield play.

On that subject, I'm finding it more and more that games today focus too much on graphics and not gameplay. Look at the new Ace Combat - sure it looks great, but half the time you're not even controlling the jet, you're just watching stuff explode as you mash buttons. If I want to watch Top Gun, I'll watch Top Gun. By not damaging the good play dynamics (don't fix it if it ain't broke), Battlefield provides an experience that both looks great and plays great, and that's a winner to me.

For me, the pinnacle of MP FPS games was MOHAA and RTCW and BF42. No "perks" no "unlocks" no crap. Everyone has access to the same stuff from minute 1 and all you get from playing longer is more hours played. I'm sick of games that reward the compulsive "no other game but this for several hours a day!" players and penalize those who buy a game a month or two after release and then play an hour or two a week.

Frankly, I'd love new versions of those games, identical except for better graphics, to play MP. Oh, and they have to be solidly locked down so no one can hack them, too. The cheating is why I quit all those games, but it took months and sometimes a year or more back then for it to become a problem.

• Like 1

Main reason I dont play online anymore....cheats...stupid perks...bunnyhopping 12 year olds!...yuk!

I miss AI in MP. 3 or 4 mates, 10 to 1 advantage in manpower to them... that was fun. That was the recipe for some crazy Desert Combat battles.