Sign in to follow this  
liamp51

Lowering Aircraft Nose Gear

Hi all,

I'm a really big fan of red aircraft, especially the MiG-21; but there is one small problem. The nose landing gear on ALL MiG-21s in game is too long the attached pictures should show the difference. I was wondering if there is anyway to change this via .ini edits or something?

Thanks! liamp51

post-56132-0-11248400-1320014997.jpg

post-56132-0-78316700-1320015172.jpg

ShockStroke= maybe???

it may be set in MAX (length of nose strut), but the stroke IS adjustable. you just might not be able to actually lower the aircraft.

of course, that'll probably screw up the rolling radius ....

Yea, I was looking at shock stroke, I'll experiment.

Hmm, ShockStroke does effect the aircraft, but it blows up on the runway when set as a negative value like it needs. I saw somewhere people were saying something about "OnGroundPitchAngle=" or something similar. Well, I'll keep experimenting. Thanks! :drinks:

OGPA not gonna effect that, unfortunately.

recomparing the screenie with the real one, it looks like the pivot point of the nose gear yoke (steering knuckle?) has less angle than it needs (more angle? -- it's too straight in any case!) ... unfortunaely, that might only be fixalbe in MAX. And given it's an AI, and not "supposed" to flown, unlikely it'll be fixed from the Manufacturer.

Maybe a nasty letter to OKB MiG might be in order? :lol:

however, thats a NICE skin!

there was a discussion, some time ago, about the RN Phantoms too ... there's no 'overextension' of the nose strut like in Real Life ™ for cat shots. I don't think there was a fix for that, either.

OGPA not gonna effect that, unfortunately.

recomparing the screenie with the real one, it looks like the pivot point of the nose gear yoke (steering knuckle?) has less angle than it needs (more angle? -- it's too straight in any case!) ... unfortunaely, that might only be fixalbe in MAX. And given it's an AI, and not "supposed" to flown, unlikely it'll be fixed from the Manufacturer.

Maybe a nasty letter to OKB MiG might be in order? :lol:

however, thats a NICE skin!

there was a discussion, some time ago, about the RN Phantoms too ... there's no 'overextension' of the nose strut like in Real Life ™ for cat shots. I don't think there was a fix for that, either.

LOL, Wrench, Imma write to OKB MiG later tonight. :rofl: Yea, is it possible to modify stock aircraft in MAX? Or does TK only have access to the source files?BTW: MY skin is up for download! :grin:

Edited by liamp51

I am more of a SFP1 guy, but may have an idea. I think is a 3D model issue, you may change it with 3D MAX.

Edited by ignacioc91

all sf2 lods are "locked" in their cat file, and not extracable. Also, once finalized and exported, they can't be changed.

That's right. 3D models cannot be reversed ingeneerd

Gah, me wants to upgrade stock MiG-17 3D models. :cool:

You can adjust the angle of attack on ground by slightly moving the aircraft center of gravity to the front.

You have to experiment with the values to find the most suitable one.

I have done it in my install on the MiG-21 and F-104 and on normal mode I did not notice any significant effect on the stability of the aircraft.

Not sure of the effect in hard mode though.

That is the wrong way, the visual effect will lower the gear but the value for the fm is also changed.

Yes, I agree with you, that is why I made the note about stability and possible effects in hard mode :drinks:

If I was to deal with that, I would decrease the "SpringFactor" and "DampingFactor" values.

Not too much to keep a good touchdown but enough to make the gear more flexible.

Just my point of view ;)

Nice bird!