Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

Increasing stock decal resolution?

Playing FEG or FE2 at 1600x900, 4xAA, 4xAF, the planes & their textures look very sharp but at shallow angles (eg looking along the top surface of an upper wing), the decals for national and unit/personal markings show 'jaggies'. As nothing else does, I'm thinking this may be because they are comparatively low-resolution images, somehow not affected as much by running with 4xAA.

The FE decals look a lot better than their IL2 equivalents but this effect can be a bit distracting.

Short of running with user-made skins with pre-applied markings, is there any way of improving this - eg by using higher-res decals? Or tweaking some in-game setting? Have searched but not gound an answer to this. TIA!

I'll think the only solution is to redo all decals by your self :yikes:

I'll think the only solution is to redo all decals by your self :yikes:

I agree - but that is not a huge task for the National Insignia - unless you want the personal and squadron and AC numbers as well.

Almost all decals in FE are 128x128. If you want a higher resolution from an existing decal it would distort the decal. Going larger isnt that easy. You would have to create a new decal with the prefered resolution. then shrink it down to size in ( re scale) every aircrafts' Decal.INI for every texture folder. It would take a long time!. Considering all the add-ons with their own decals. You could just try to make new National Insignias. I think there's around 20 give or take. But agiam you would need to rescale those too. I've never noticed a problem w the decals myself. Hummm.

Thanks for the advice. It's not really a problem just a minor visual issue, just noticeable in some situations, which I would do something about if there was an easy way to improve it, which it seems there isn't. Maybe higher AA or AF would help if my 8800GT could handle it, but it's not worth dropping FPS just for that. Cheers, guys!

I agree that it's the decal itself, not the settings in the game. Maybe you could just do the insignia for the nations you fly most and see how it goes.

In playing with decals, I've learned that the game will take whatever size the decal is, and stretch or shink it to fit the decal.ini setting, (In FE1 anyway.) So you should only have to change the decal. Sizes that are a power of 2 (128, 256. 512. etc) seem to scale better than other sizes. Many nations have Fuselage, and Tail markings in addition to the Insignia.

Edited by Stephen1918

Cheers - that SPAD looks good!